4 Nisan 2013 Perşembe

THE FILM THAT POSSIBLY INVENTED STRANGE LOVE : "HAROLD AND MAUDE"


Ok, this is one of those films I really struggle to review. My instincts tell me this is not a film for everyone and to try and record it accordingly. My heart tells me one would have to be both blind and deaf not to watch the film and fall in love with it on the spot. This film has a double significance – as it were. Not only is it one of the cinematically most important films around it is, in my opinion, one of those expressive, sensitive films that warms you to the cockles of your heart. And it’s chock-full of rather dark absurd comedy. So… Yeah, you see why I say it may not be for everyone. But then again, you kinda know my taste in films by now. If you reckon it’s parallel to mine, I say definitely go for it. It’s a good ‘un. It’s a classic for a reason – no questions about that.
Well, we all need to have our hobbies in this life. Harold’s hobby is committing suicide. That and going to funerals. In his hearse. His mother told him he could have any car he wanted, they are not a badly off family so she had meant a Jaguar or a Mercedes. Harold, however, wanted a hearse. His mother does anything and everything to drag Harold back to normality; therapy, marriage, the army… But even with this no-holds barred approach, nothing seems to work and Harold refuses to follow her example. 79 year-old Maude, however, is a completely different story. You see, the thing about having hobbies is that they also permit you to meet like-minded people and Maude is just such a person. Although, her eccentricity is at such a level that even our friend Harold is slightly taken aback. Maude is, in a way, the mother-figure Harold never had in a random funeral attending, car stealing and nude posing sort of way…  This is a story that proves that love is something that bypasses minor issues like age and gender – and unites… But also has very, very unexpected consequences.
Ok, I am not going to actually make a list of all the parallels I drew with films today as I watched this one. First of all, it would spoil it for all of you who, like me, enjoy that kind of “treasure hunting”. Secondly, it would just make the post far too long. Even by my rather verbose standards. But, just as a small example, the going to random funerals thing. Ok, so, Harold and Maude like going to funerals. Not the funerals of anyone they know. Just, any funerals that happen to be going that day. Who does that remind you of? Mayhaps a certain narrator, played by Edward Norton, who visited support groups for a plethora of ailments he didn’t have and then met a woman who had the same hobby as him (played by Helena Bonham-Carter) ? Yes, I AM talking about Fight Club. And that’s just the start of a rather long list of prestigious movies. I mean, it’s worth a check-out for that alone. And please don’t get upset just because Fight Club appears to have got part of its inspiration from some other film. That’s what life – not to mention creative industries – are all about. Constant creative cross-inspiration. Finding stuff like this is like tracing a family tree. And it’s fun. Movie geeks like me will understand.
But then of course, I do implore you, do watch the film in its own right too. It is an absolute treasure trove for those, like me, who particularly enjoy dark comedy and absurd comedy in particular. But it isn’t just a joy-ride. Oh no. There are a lot of serious issues; and genuine emotion in this little number too.  And all tightly yet exquisitely packed into around 90 minutes of film, unlike the 2 hour + sagas of today that are very, very pretty to look at but barely manage to pack half the content into themselves… Goodness, I didn’t really see myself turning into an old fogey complaining that “things” were better in the “good old days” but hey… In this instance, I may well be right, I’m not quite sure…  Anyway. You guys watch Harold and Maude and then we can discuss all that later… 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder