8 Nisan 2015 Çarşamba

ESSIE ON THE BIG DEBATE PART 2 - " BIRDMAN (OR THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE"

Well… Welcome to the second half of the big dual of 2015! From the moment Birdman hit various festivals earlier on in the year, it had critics up on their feet, applauding and stamping their feet. “A masterpiece in the making!” They cried, “An unforgettable experience!”  And most critics nodded knowingly as they applauded director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu as he took away not only the Oscar for Best Film but also for Best Director. I personally hadn’t watched either Birdman or its “nemesis” Boyhood during the Oscar season so had no opinion on the matter. And now the film scene has calmed down a bit and I have a tiny tad more time on my hands, I decided to take a gander at the two and see what I thought for myself. You had my opinion on Boyhood last week. A couple of days ago I finally sat down to watch Birdman…
I am not saying that Birdman is not a masterpiece. I am not saying that it is truly an experience to watch. But in case you hadn’t pieced it together, yes I am firmly in the #Boyhoodwasrobbed camp. In my post today, I will attempt to explain why, while giving as objective a review as I can of it.

Of course if you have any connection whatsoever to films and news, you have some idea of the plot. Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton)is a washed up actor, best known for playing iconic comic book inspired superhero Birdman (cue endless comparisons made with Keaton’s own career playing Batman). In the autumn of his years – in any case in what looks suspiciously like the autumn of his career – he is trying to do something that truly “matters” artistically. He is putting on a play on Broadway. He has written an adaptation of Raymond Carver’s story What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, he is co-producing it with his best friend Jake (Zach Galifianakis), directing it and playing one of the lead roles in it… If he pulls it off, it is going to be one heck of a debut on Broadway. However, with what artistic reputation he has left (and his fans would really prefer him to just do Birdman 4) and his life savings riding on this, Riggan is in the process of finding out that there is more to putting on a Broadway play than he might of thought. It all starts with him having to replace a key actor at the eleventh hour. Mike (Edward Norton) – the replacement – may well be the talent the team needs but his ego threatens to destroy the project. Then there is his daughter Sam (Emma Stone) who is really worrying him… And on top of all that, the shadow of Birdman, the old character he loves and hates so much just will not leave him alone in more ways than one… As the previews begin Riggan sure has a lot on the line – and so far he seems set to lose it all…
This is the first heads up to me, to be honest. I enjoyed writing that blurb, but anything that takes that long to explain needs to take a good long look at itself just to start with. I am a big fan of philosophy being used in film of course multi-layered stories and metaphors are a delight to watch when well-executed. But I reckon, the minute you have to explain a film to death as a mere introduction or if you have to google multiple concepts to understand what the film was trying to tell you, well… Something has gone awry. Birdman is absolutely knee-deep in metaphors. It is laugh out loud funny and heartbreakingly touching when it comes to the storyline itself just on face value. Sprinkled into this beautiful story are truly extraordinary and deep considerations on being an artist, growing old, how the two combine and how we come to terms with our own fading glory – be it as an artist or simply as a human being past their prime… By and large the metaphors are quite easy to follow and we can marvel at the way Innaritu has woven them into his story. Except, of course, there is the obligatory few incredibly obscure ones, you know, the ones you have to have pages and pages online discussing. I am, principally, talking about the famously obscure finale. I personally lean towards the “it’s the afterlife” interpretation of it. I also think it’s the scene what pushes the film over into having one foot firmly planted in “pretentious” as opposed to both feet in “intelligent”.
This is not the only showing off going on of course. A lot has equally been said about the “extended shot” format of the film. I have to say I was filled with dread when I first read this – my first encounter with the style was in Magnolia. I found it nauseating (as in, it made me physically feel sick, I did respect it cinematically). This one is a lot “tamer”. It’s like the camera has its own mind and it wanders the halls of the theatre quite playfully. Another famous sore point was the sound track – I wasn’t that bothered by the drumming to be honest, but the whole gimmick with the drummer (you know what I mean if you’ve seen it) is again, in the domain of the pretentious as far as I’m concerned.  
But of course, between it being a story inherently about art, acting and Hollywood itself (Birdman – Batman, what’s a couple of letters between friends!) the technical “showing off” and Innaritu openly trying to make a film that “cannot be explained”… Well it’s showy. It’s good but in my humble opinion in tries too hard. It crams in too much. Yes, Inarritu crams the too much in with elegance. But there is more skill involved in doing less sometimes. I would argue that Boyhood achieved to make a much deeper philosophical point with less show and a single “gimmick” that was executed with grace and dedication… Birdman is definitely a carnival you should pop in to see. Just don’t go putting it on a pedestal… 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder