29 Nisan 2015 Çarşamba

JUST WANNA KNOW WHY YOU'RE GONE GIRL...

I haven’t seen Ben Affleck around for a while. Last time I saw him it was in Argo. Then he was in To The Wonder by Terrance Malik (to my utter mortification I haven’t seen that film yet. And I call myself a Terrance Malik fan.) Then he was in Runner Runner which I also missed (reviews online tell me I haven’t missed much but then again, they may just be being mean) and then this happened. Gone Girl quite literally happened to the cinema scene over here, at one point I remember being almost physically sick to the back teeth of seeing posters of it and the bestselling book that inspired it literally everywhere. It was enough to put you off the film all together. I don’t know what it is – although I do know I’m not alone in this – the moment a film or a book gets lauded everywhere as the best thing in recent history I am apt to be rather snobbish and think I probably would hate it. It lead to me refusing to watch Forest Gump for more years than I would care to admit (it’s in the double digits – let’s leave it at that). As you can see though I am doing my best to put that bad habit behind me and focus on “being in the moment” as far as cinema goes.

When Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) calls the police to report his wife missing the police take it seriously. It looks like a tale told many, many times before. Seemingly perfect and beautiful couple hit by tragedy, said tragedy throwing open closet doors and dragging out skeletons, and Nick Dunne looking more and more as if he has murdered his wife and done away with the body… What they are not taking into account is the fact that Amy (Rosamund Pike) is by no stretch of the imagination your average, over the horizon and happily ever after kind of wife to go and get herself murdered like some cliché...
I am glad I went ahead and watched Gone Girl. It had a lot going for it, not least the fact that it had been directed by one of my favourite directors, David Fincher. He is the mind behind two of my favourite films ever – Fight Club and Se7en – and his dark and twisted universe comes to the surface once again with bone-chilling vividness. I love a good psychological murder mystery. But being into “crime films” has its own ups and downs, there is a lot in the genre but the really good stuff is few and far between, not least because there are SO many clichés out there. This fella is a truly extraordinary work of art from end to end that will, I have no doubt, a long –term place in all those “best” film lists that crop up here there and everywhere. It definitely has a place in my heart as a critic.
Gone Girl achieves something else I truly loved about previous Fincher films. The constant sense of brooding that spreads all the way through the film, not letting you relax for one minute. In a film like Fight Club this effect depends on the constantly dark and “off the wall” feel of the setting, the constant darkness gives us a sense that there is something lurking in it. With Gone Girl however, the surroundings are anything but dark. Usually bright airy and pastel colour schemes and almost picture perfect settings are used to simply feel that this is all a little too… Right… The darkness is not in the visual realm but in what is possibly the darkest place they can hide, inside the human mind. This, children, is where the true terror begins.
That, of course, is in the story’s universe. In our universe, when we need to create this effect, the surest place to start is a strong cast. Now this is going to be a spoiler for those of you who haven’t seen the film yet (and I do apologise for it but it’s something I simply MUST gush about) Rosamund Pike plays one heck of a villain. Now the whole police and murder and mystery angle might put some viewers off if they’re not fans of the genre but in actual fact the film is nigh on 2.5 hours solid of mind games, unreliable narrators and shifting sands. Kudos to both Pike and Affleck who do not miss a beat or indeed an opportunity to confuse and confound us in this story of many twists and turns… There was a potential for mistake when structuring this story – a too perfect villain is almost as annoying as a too perfect hero. Especially since (extreme spoiler alert) Amy ultimately “wins” in the end. Fincher does however make her a bit less than perfect – bad planning and coincidence get the better of her in the second half of the film, forcing her to change her plan entirely. I do get annoyed with people who do eye-rolls at coincidences by the way. I mean sure, you can’t base an entire film on them. That does not however mean that they shouldn’t exist at all. I mean good heavens, real life is full of coincidences, how unrealistic would it be if there were absolutely none ever in any story we ever told… Fincher stays faithful to this realism by letting Amy win in the end too. I mean let’s face it kids – the good guys don’t win EVERY fight in the real world…

You will have spotted by this point that I love a good plot twist. I love a film that really and truly fucks with your brain. If you, like me, enjoy a good game of mental chess, look no further than Gone Girl. It’s one of the best examples of it to come out in years.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder