4 Ekim 2012 Perşembe

NOW IN CINEMAS - A NOVEL TAKE ON A CLASSIC: "SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN"

Now, you know how I was kind “meh” about the previous film? Well, I’m positively annoyed with bits of this one. I have a feeling that the blog may (only from time to time) turn into a place where I sit and gripe to you lot about what annoys me about films. I will not make a habit of this. And I will never put stuff that is so bad that I genuinely think you shouldn’t watch it. But still, why not be honest about bits you don’t like in something? That’s kinda what I’m doing with Snow White and the Huntsman.
Of course, Snow White and the Huntsman is the latest attempt to “revamp” the story of Snow White and the seven dwarves. I mean personally, I feel that the film is worth watching for this reason alone, I really like the idea of “what really happened” sort of versions of these things, I mean Cinderella has had her fair share of re-vamps, why not Snow White? I mean, here the basic tenets are all there. But in addition to the usual, Snow White does not “keep house” for the seven friendly dwarfs. She is “the chosen one who must save the land”. And when she comes back from the dead (she is not “asleep” like the fairy tale but actually dead here), she leads an army against the evil stepmother /witch and destroys her. Badass. Right?
Well, hmm, maybe. There are a few matters to be discussed though. First of all, Kristen Steward. I mean, no offence to the actress but I actually had to google her. No, to find out her real name. I thought and thought, and all I could come up with was Bella Swan. But there is the other matter of, well, she obviously isn’t worried about being typecast at all. Think about it, weak /normal and beautiful female character no one expects much of goes on to conquer hearts /become something super human and extraordinary / conquer hideous enemies. Fine, the second one doesn’t involve rather large wolves that are calling themselves werewolves. (I will not get started on Twilight. I respect everyone’s choice whether to like it or not but I will say one single thing : classic literature clearly states , VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE IN THE SUN, THEY BURST INTO FLAMES. It’s my pet peeve about that series. Moving on).
Yes, so Snow White. It doesn’t take much experience in film analysis here to figure out that the Snow White here is very clearly a Christ figure. I mean she actually dies. And is brought back from the dead. Ok, there is true love’s kiss involved, but then the true love melts into the background, Snow White remains as white as snow as far as matters of the heart are concerned. It’s an interesting tack, but firstly it may be a little too serious for a film that is a fantasy film based on a children’s story. I don’t know, it just seems inappropriate somehow.
And then there is some stuff in the film that just popped out at me and my friend as we watched it. For starters, Snow White  is trapped in a tower for many long years until she comes of age. Then, her step mother must kill her to remain the fairest in the land for ever, when Snow White escapes and her adventure begins. The thing is, she is very athletic and able for someone trapped in a small cell for the best part of 15 years…  To the best of my knowledge, her muscles should have atrophied and stuff, no? Unless being “the chosen one” makes you some sort of exception. I mean this kind of omission of logic would be ok once in a while if it was tied together by this brilliant fantasy film that takes your breath away. And I mean there are some truly epic bits of this film (The bit with The White Heart for instance? I mean, Ok it has religious overtones but still... Pretty epic.). Oh and Charlize Theron is brilliant as the stepmother. Just awesome. But not as many as I would have liked. And a few too many of the afore mentioned errors in logic. I mean, suspension of disbelief is well and good but honestly, one shouldn’t push the matter.  Still, like I said, the concept is interesting. There are some seriously good bits. It’s a fun watch. Just watch it at home, on DVD with a couple of friends over. So you can point stuff out and gripe about it to each other J

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder