24 Aralık 2014 Çarşamba

HAVE YOURSELF AN EERIE LITTLE CHRISTMAS...BLACK MIRROR – BLACK MIRROR WHITE CHRISTMAS

I know. It’s kinda unfair going on and on about something mainly shown on British TV. But you know, the internet is a wonderful thing these days, as is Amazon, Ebay etc – you can easily find the DVDs for this and order it – and oh my darlings, you should!! I mean, yes it’s really not to everyone’s taste – not really. But you guys have been around for a while now. I assume you know and like my taste. So let’s just dive in, shall we
Now, I’m thinking “anthology” type TV series are becoming a thing – think American Horror Story (I definitely will be in the coming weeks, I am officially obsessed with the series – you know, series where every episode (in this case) or every series (like American Horror Story) is a standalone story. There are various ways of tying the series together, in American Horror Story it’s the cast – it’s the same cast, they just play different parts every series. In Black Mirror it goes even further. There are a few actors who move around from part to part (though not “consistently” in every episode), and there are songs and details tying them together for the wise, but basically every episode is its own story. What unites them is the theme.
The creator of these unholy little darlings is British Tv personality Charlie Brooker. Those who are in the know may already be a fan of his dark humour and his pessimistic outlook as to the future of the media generation for which he is, rather ironically, such an icon. If you are a Charlie Brooker fan I’m assuming you’re already a fan (either that or living under a stone). If you’ve never heard of him, ask yourself this, do you need a series full of dystopias about an overly technological world, dark humour and not overly fond of “happy” endings in your life. You know you do. Step right over and take a look in the Black Mirror.
Every episode basically takes a look at some form of technology “gone too far”. Be it an Aldous Huxley type world where people have to pay to not watch commercials, electronic “eyes” that allow you to rewind the future and review it or using the internet to topple presidents… Every episode serves up a goodly portion of “what could happen if it all went too far”. The series is not, however, completely devoid of Christmas spirit – a special feature length Christmas episode – “Black Mirror White Christmas” – has been aired and is not available on 4OD. I have to say, I loved it. I really did.
This episode stars John Hamm of Mad Men fame alongside a British cast in a haunting Christmas tale. In a barren looking snow scape, two men seem to be ensconced in a cabin with no other company for miles around. With nothing else to do, the two men begin swapping stories about their lives before the cabin. Now, those who know the series know better than to try and find out more. And unfortunately, as the series functions mainly around “shock value”, I will be giving you little more than that there blurb as far as the story goes. Like good movies (QT for example) and good horror stories, the whole thing hinges on gut-wrenching plot twists and I wouldn’t spoil it for you for the world!
Here, however, is a spoiler-free taster:


 I will tell you this much, this is definitely a Christmas special. The way the series operates allows a sort of “two stories in one” type of dealio. John Hamm is absolutely brilliant (but he’s one of those actors who I personally think always is brilliant hehe) and the premises of the stories are both imaginative and spine-chilling as always… Ok here’s one for those who watched the episode though. Did you think John Hamm’s characters punishment ended up being a little too harsh… I mean ok maybe that’s the point but…  I mean those last scenes really, really hit me. Not to mention Potter basically being punished for something he didn’t do. Not really. Think about it – or just hit me up on Twitter if you don’t get what I mean by that.

So my darlings, have a spooky Christmas and a haunted New Year! I’m off to Cambridge to visit my family for a few days but I will soon be back with musings on movies!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder