11 Ekim 2015 Pazar

FUTURE CONDITIONAL - A REMINDER THAT THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN...


Well this is messy. This is precisely what I was talking about last week. The whole point of my writing about plays I go to was to shine a tiny candle onto the theatre scene. Sort of asking you to accompany me as I sneak slowly (and on a budget) into London’s theatre scene. I saw this play absolutely ages go. I finally was able to put some time aside to catch up on my writing. One search on Google shows that it closed the day before I wrote this. FFS.

Never mind. It may reopen. And there is no harm in being retrospective. And this is MY blog God-darn it, if I want to write about a play that closed two weeks ago, I will, so there. Boo to anyone who criticizes me.


Future Conditional is the story of what is wrong with the British educational system. Sporting a cast of talented young actors and starring Rob Brydon, we take a look into the lives of those on all sides of the system. The families, the teachers, the law-makers… In the thick of all of this, we have one young and very talented Pakistani refugee who has an extraordinary idea about how we can make the whole thing a lot fairer. The question is, can she get past the preconceptions and bad habits to actually change the world…

I will start off by assuring you that while the play really and truly IS about “what is wrong with the educational system”, it is neither as serious or as dry as that sentence makes it sound. There is a lot of laughter, on big topics and small, and while we are definitely pushed to think while we watch this play – and it clearly has its political message well and truly at the forefront of its mind – it is not didactic at all.

That said, it does work a lot better if you actually know a bit about the British educational system. My knowledge, it must be admitted, is patchy. And I did find bits of the play – it is quite heavy on very serious political discussion – a tad hard to follow as far as the topic went. I mean don’t get me wrong you can follow it. I am just quite sure I would enjoy it more if I knew more about the topic.
The other surprise for me was Rob Brydon. His role is basically that of John Keating in Dead poets society. The only thing is, he is a very toned down version of him. Yes his scenes are good and striking but to be that “extraordinary teacher” who “changes his pupils’ lives” as the posters for the play professes he needed that extra bit of “umph”. As it is, he is good and portrays his part more than ably, but , I do wish there was more of him doing more.

I mean I can sort of see why that artistic choice was made. Rob Brydon is the big name of the play, but the spotlight of it stays on the topic and the young, talented and energetic cast. He is an integral part of the process, but not the centerpiece of the affair. This means we the audience can give a fair share of attention and limelight to all the parts and hopefully give some thought to the message.  And  good theatre is all about teamwork, at the end of the day. I have more of a problem with the fact that the whole part of the “life saving teacher” lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I don’t really have a problem with whether Rob Brydon was playing the part or not.  The part needed something more, something bigger. I mean either that, or the play really should stop using the line “who is the teacher who saved your life” (or something to that effect) in its advertising. But the other point is that Alia, who is based largely on Malala Yousufazi the Pakistani schoolgirl who fought for the right to female education, does not  necessarily need “saving” in the first place. She is perfectly capable of doing it herself.


 But this is not a play about teaching any side “a lesson”. It is neither that serious nor that glum. On the contrary, it brims with hope for the future and the new generation. Yes, it points out the flaws in the current system clearly and concisely. Ruthlessly even. But the overwhelming message, I felt, was one of hope. We have many bright and beautiful young men and women growing up in this country right now. Give them half a chance and they can fix it. All you need to do is not get stuck in your old ways and cling to old methods that clearly don’t work. Just open your mind to the possibility that there is a whole different way of doing things that would make us all a lot happier.

I went to see the play on a matinee. I counted no less than three different school uniforms in the auditorium. This gives me hope. Young people are  not just “constantly staring at their phones” as the older gener ations would have us believe. They are interested, and  engaged.They just do things differently – as does every new generation.    

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder