31 Aralık 2014 Çarşamba

HUDDLE UNDER THE BLANKET AND LISTEN TO A GOOD OLD FASHIONED "AMERICAN HORROR STORY"

I have been away from the “TV series” scene for a while now. I watch a lot of moves and go to the cinema quite a bit but haven’t “got into” the whole series thing for a while now. I mean, I’m quite picky with these things anyway, and I have been craving something original for a while now. This was recommended to me by a friend, I decided to check out one episode on the insistence of friends. What started out as me just checking out one episode quickly turned into a seven episode marathon that I had to literally force myself away from. I am fully aware that I am waay behind in proceedings – season 4 for this baby being broadcast and all. But have no fear, I am two seasons in and ploughing on as fast as I can to catch up! In the meanwhile though, I think I have a good enough grasp on the whole thing – and you DEFINITELY need to hear all about this one!


So, American Horror story is an anthology of horror stories. The stories are linked principally bt their themes – these are all “classic” American horror stories we all somehow know and love; the first season tells the story of a haunted house, second, a mental asylum where more than one kind of monster lurks beneath the surface of normality, third a selective boarding school that is actually coven of witches and the fourth current one an old fashioned freak show.
The second element that links the anthology is the cast. Not the whole cast – that would be slightly impractical and not a little weird, but quite a few actors from the first season also turn up in the second season playing completely unrelated characters (unrelated to their previous role that is). And other actors that were in the first series but side-stepped the second series turn up in the third. You get the picture. It is such a brilliant showcase for the versatility and talent of the actors – and just the right shade of spooky, perfectly suitable to the eerie series – body snatchers anyone. One constant that needs a mention is, without a doubt, Jessica Lange. The talented actress makes any role she takes on her own and our emotions soar and plummet even through the series as the plotline twists and turns – much less as we cross through different stories of the anthology together.
Speaking of the storyline I really need to say, I think anthologies may well be the future of TV series. I mean, I have always felt that the major virtue of a good series is to know when to stop. I mean sure, we moan and cry when our favourite TV series finishes, we may empathise with this character or have a crush on this actor – actress… But admit it, there is a sense of disappointment there when you realise that the writers are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel just to keep the series going, because hey, the ratings aren’t that bad so you know, let’s keep milking it. I’ve walked away from a number of TV series for this self-same reason, it doesn’t “hook” me if they’re doing stuff just for the sake of doing stuff (I’m thinking particularly of True Blood here – I was told the series did improve but once I lose interest I rarely go back). I mean, the series I reviewed last week, Black Mirror, is basically united by theme alone – but Charlie Brooker’s very original personal mark in each and every story helps one make a very clear link.
But of course one thing is absolutely certain. As fascinating cinematically the casting and the whole “anthology” type storylines are; you will not enjoy this one unless if you are a big fan of the horror genre. But conversely, if you are a fan of the horror genre you’d be a fool to miss it. Series one played host to simply one of the most terrifying haunted houses I have ever come across (and believe you me I have come across some GOOD haunted houses in my day) – to the point that a few episodes in I was jumping at creaks and squeaks in the house (I live with three other adults and two cats so there were plenty of creaks to jump at, I’ll tell you that for nothing). The second series, looking back, seems very improbably when you describe it on paper. I mean, there seems to be waaaay too much going on. An asylum is a fertile ground for potentially all manner of horror story weirdness ranging from alien abductions to possession – it seems a bit risky to stick ‘em all into the same story and then throw in a few more curveballs besides… And yet, they do, and somehow it works. They even throw in a few actual old fashioned medical practices for good measure and it STILL works.

So if you want a chill or three down your spines you guys – definitely take a gander at American Horror Story you guys! As a horror fan my only regret was not having started before – check it out! J  

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder