4 Temmuz 2013 Perşembe

A STEP INTO THE PAST AND OUT OF THIS WORLD : "CORPSE BRIDE"

I know. I can’t quite believe I missed this one either. I mean, it’s Tim Burton, it’s an animation, it’s a musical… What more can one want from a film?  I mean, fair enough I didn’t know it was a musical until I actually started watching it so I might as well give you a heads up too. But for me, that kind of thing is more of a pleasant surprise. And of course Johnny Depp is, as always, there in the foreground along with Helena Bonham-Carter - so, the usual suspects. Not to say that Tim Burton is getting cliché (because he is not), you know what elements usually come up in a Burton movie by now – and I don’t just mean the actors. It’s the atmos, it’ s the wonderfully imaginative storyline it’s the brilliant animations… If all these things aren’t as “superlative” for you as they are for me, well, you have a problem. If, however, you know what to expect and can’t wait to get your grubby paws on it, well, step right on in.
Back in Victorian England marriage was just as much a matter of business as it was a matter of love. In some situations this state of affairs remains today. But our story today is particularly interested in one such “business” marriage in a small village in Victorian England. Victor (Johnny Depp), the son of the newest “nouveau riche”s in town is to be wed to Victoria ( Emily Watson) , the daughter of an old aristocratic family who is very down on their funds. However, when nervously practicing his wedding vows in the seclusion of the forest, he inadvertently marries a corpse. Now, while this doesn’t seem like the easiest of mistakes to make, it is a lot tougher to actually undo what has been done. The Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter) has long been waiting for her true love to come along when she got jilted by her lover when she was alive and she is determined not to let Victor go. Thus whisked down to the underworld Victor now faces a rather novel set of problems. Not least how to get back, as his “living world” wedding is supposed to be taking place in a matter of hours…
First of all, fans rejoice. This is, as I said at the beginning, everything a Tim Burton film should be. And despite great talent, it can be touch and go. Take for example, a later burton, “The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”, yet another musical starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. It has all the ingredients, and yet… I don’t know. Was it my moo when I watched it? Was it something else? Something was missing. There wasn’t that “va-va-voum” we’re used to. But this one has it. If you feel like dropping out of the real world for a few hours and taking a wild journey into the imagination of one of the most creative minds of our generation, this is the fella for you. You will laugh until you cry. And in bits, you might cry when you’re not laughing. I must admit, yes there were tissues involved in my experience. But then again, that subtle play on the heartstrings is the other reason I like Burton so frigging much.

I don’t want to give too much away because imaginative twists and surprises are a staple of this film. But just one small note. If you’re slightly worried, from a feminist point of view that the film boils down to two women fighting over Johnny Depp, fear not. The film has little to do with marriage in fact, as far as its main message goes, and a lot more to do with letting go of your past to be able to move on in life… You’ll have to watch it to see what I mean, but it’s really quite something. Trust me on this. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder