11 Nisan 2013 Perşembe

OF TELEVISION, REALITY AND OTHER LIFE AND DEATH MATTERS : "THE HUNGER GAMES"


Now I had my misgivings about this film, I really did. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I was always sure it would be at least moderately good. Hollywood has perfected this style of film over the years. Emotional ties, importance of family, loyalty etc., a beautiful yet approachable heroine matched with spectacular special effects. If all this is linked to an already existing franchise and comes with its own ready-made fan base, why all the better. Thing is, I suspected I might be a tad too old for it (anyone who knows me laughed outloud at that comment. I admit, coming from a family where my 90 year-old grandmother is a Harry Potter fan, this may sound a tad bit strange. ) But anyway. I sort of thought, you know what, this is probably for people at least 10 years younger than me. If not a bit younger. So I left it be, until that is, it started crossing my path repeatedly. “Oh fine” I said to myself “it’s a rainy Sunday afternoon, I’ll watch you if you insist that much”. Well, I have to admit, the tenacious little film had a point…
I guess you kinda caught onto the story through all the adds but I’ll give you a quick rundown in case you forgot. You may not be a fan. And it has been a while.
Ok, so in the far future, in a dystopian world where a lot has gone awry, people live under strict governmental control. The country is divided into 12 districts, all mainly responsible for the production of one product for the whole country. But see, this state of (relative) peace was not always the way things were. There was once an uprising, civil war no less, and this led to a bloody repression. Then, the wise men in the capitol decided that as a reminder of these sad events (and more importantly, so they never do it again) they would organise the following event. Every year, every district would select at random a boy and girl between the ages of 12 and 18. These 24 youngsters would go into the capital, to be placed in a highly computerised forest (I mean, I call it a forest but think “Truman Show”) where they fight, to the death, until one single victor remains.  This event is called “The Hunger Games”. The victor then goes on to be rich and famous and shake off, if they can, the trauma of what just happened. I mean, the film is good but not that original, as you can guess, our heroine, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) is selected to represent her district (rather she volunteers to represent it in lieu of her younger sister who was initially selected), the poor, coal-mining district 12 (Germinal anyone? No? Ok…). Let the games begin!
Now this film has a lot going in its favour. And I mean, a lot. Originality, I’m sorry to say, ain’t one of ‘em. I could practically predict every beat from the beginning to the end. And this is not me showing off my film knowledge. Anyone who has watched a handful of Hollywood movies will be able to too. Besides, this is the first book of a series. The second film will be released in November 2013. It stars Jennifer Lawrence. Err, in that case, gee, I wonder who wins the Hunger Games in this film???
This however, did not stop me waving and yelling instructions at Katniss during the games. The special effects are both well done and well used. Yes there is a little too much emotional lather but well… You go into that kind of thing with your eyes open. You would be naïve NOT to expect it. And heck, sometimes one needs a touch of emotional lather. Besides, it’s an interesting consideration on TV shows and the celebrity culture today. I mean, think of all the reality shows we have parading around these days for a second. Naturally the Hunger Games are highly televised and most of the film painstakingly points out that our heroes are part of a TV show. True, we have the ones like “I’m a celebrity get me out of here” and all that. But at the end of the day no one is in real danger. It’s rather eerie to think what the ratings would be if people actually got killed off one by one. Oh yes, it’s horrific, it sickens me to think about it, but just imagine. If such a TV show existed. Just assuming for a second it somehow came into being, with no control from any kind of authority. How popular would it be? Would there be a public outcry? Or would the ratings sore through the roof? Take a minute to think about it… (One film attempting to consider this last question was Live! starring Eva Mendes. I watched it a while ago and remember thinking it could have done a lot better for itself - but it still could be worth checking out) 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder