9 Ağustos 2013 Cuma

IT'S A WHOLE NEW APOCALYPSE : "THE WALKING DEAD"

Ok, try not to laugh. But I have only just discovered this. I mean yes, of course I knew it existed but I had just pushed it to one side. Even the fact that Norman Reedus is HOT didn’t reel my in until very recently. It was, to my mind, yet another part of the “zombie epidemic” that has been taken place on our screens recently. I mean,  even if the zombie apocalypse hasn’t happened in real life (yet?) it sure has happened on our tv screens. If there were just one or two franchises, it would be one thing. But at one point, they were just EVERYWHERE (it’s now kinda moved on to vampires. Do not get me started on the new trend on vampires.). But yeah, anyway. The closest I got to The Walking Dead was teasing my friends who I knew watched it.  What, I asked myself, could they possibly see in a plot line that has basically been explored to death ?(see what I did there?). But then again, last week. I’m casting around for something to unwind to. The walking dead “walks” by my screen. Like I said I have a very weak spot for Norman Reedus – especially as Daryl Dixon. Well, I thought, one episode. I’ll give it a whirl. I am now hooked, and would like to take this opportunity to humbly apologise to anyone I ribbed too much. I get it now. *hangs head in shame*.
I will now make up for my lack of faith by ranting about it here. But first, the plotline. I mean, ok it’s pretty self-explanatory but hey. We have traditions on this blog. Traditions are important. So, the zombie apocalypse happens. But the thing is, nobody told Ric Grimes. Ric, a deputy sheriff, had been lying comatose in hospital at the time. When nature takes its course and he comes round, the world he knew has changed for ever and he must adapt very, very quickly or die. And this is how our story begins. Ric needs, above and beyond anything else, to find his wife and son. This is easier said than done as civilisation as we know it has collapsed and you are in constant danger of being eaten alive. As Ric travels through what remains of the USA, we meet the handful of people who have survived… So far… Life is more of a battle than it ever used to be and every little thing can be the beginning of a great adventure… And not exclusively of the pleasant kind.
I need to say that The Walking Dead has taken all the incredibly positive developments that have taken place in the writing of serials these days and moulded them together, making it an absolute nail-biter to watch. First of all, that Hitchcock classic that Game of Thrones uses so well… Do NOT get attached to any of the characters. With a realism that pushes us just a little closer to the edge of our seats, yes, they die. Even the ones we really get used to. I mean of course, there are some characters you KNOW are going to be alright. But the thing is, there aren’t that many. And characters that seem to have quite major roles in the storyline might get eaten at a moment’s notice. Know that to begin with and quiver at every zombie attack. Oh and if you’re a “late comer” to the scene, like me, do your level best to avoid every single online thing about it. I know it’s tempting but I’m still in the middle of season 2. I have like, a season and a half to go before I catch up (and season 4 is due to start in October, so plenty of time there). Because as long as you keep the surprise factor in there, there are plenty of “jumps” hidden in there.
That they have mastered plot twists goes without saying You don’t become a global success without mastering the art of plot twists but I am very, very glad to report that there is a lot of stuff that is new and fresh here. No “typical” stories and characters, and a lot of the unexpected.
But there are some familiar faces as well. I mean, the film very much hinges on the same premises as a Western, you know, the civilised “goodies” against the savages. This, of course, paves the way for many, many glorious “raaaah moments. Ric is our “force of good” in this, complete with his sheriffs’ uniform and cowboy hat (I need to say something at this point. I mean, I’m sorry, there is no government or society, most of humanity is wiped out and civilisation as we know it has come to an end. What does the man do? Live in his uniform. I also wear a uniform to work and trust me; if the zombie apocalypse came I would feed said uniform to the zombies.  If any of my bosses or colleagues are reading this, no offence but you DO know what I’m talking about. All this is assuming I’m still conscious and not shambling round the street oblivious to my surroundings, naturally.) and of course he has a wife and child to protect and be contrasted against. I mean there was no way the hero of this one was single. But… But there is also Daryl Dixon.              He is the latest incarnation of the truly “badass” Clint Eastwood type characters in westerns. He has had a tough life, he’s a lone wolf, he makes his own rules (yes even by zombie apocalypse standards) and even though he probably isn’t actually invincible, well… Given that he is the only “country” person in a group of city people with no real survival skills prior to all of this means that he is darn close to being invincible. And he is portrayed by Norman Reedus. *Swoon*. I will not give too much away about Daryl Dixon. If you haven’t already discovered him, it needs to slowly dawn on you in all its awesomeness. Yes, it. He is not a character but a phenomenon. I’m just a tiny bit of a fan. And of course with the characters you love to love, there are also the characters you love to hate. I’m a little upset that the “love to hate” characters seem to almost invariably be women but hey… There are some pretty good female characters in there to make up the numbers, don’t worry.

So just go watch the damn thing. Let’s discuss it. I’m bending over backwards here not to give you spoilers but there are so many things I want to discuss with you! Oh you’ll see what I mean once you start watching … 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder