13 Haziran 2013 Perşembe

WHAT RISES HIGH IN "FLIGHT" MUST SURELY COME BACK DOWN...

Well now, this one was a curveball. I had completely and utterly assumed I was going to see an action film of sorts. Very much my own fault, I have been working like a woman possessed this last month, I freely admit that I am more than a little behind when it comes to cinematic research. I’d had a bit of a week of it when I got to watching this. I genuinely thought I was just going to see a well-acted action film that would take my mind off things. Instead, I found a film that made me think long and hard about very important stuff. Hey, it took my mind off things. Just not in the way I expected.
Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington) is a pilot. One of the best there is. And he has more than ample chance to prove it when he saves almost all the souls on board using an almost impossible manoeuvre after a mechanical failure. The thing is though; he completes this impossible manoeuvre when drunk. And under the influence of cocaine. As you can imagine, this comes up pretty quickly in the medical examination. Now there is a race against time as his union rep and lawyer desperately try to quash the medical reports and keep Whip in line. And Whip, a raging alcoholic, takes one heck of a lot of keeping in line. For all his bravado however, Whip is guilt-stricken about the six people who died. This event is, in fact, a very good chance for him to face up to his past, his mistakes and his demons. Thing is, does he see it that way?
Ok, I love this film for so many reasons. Not least because it paints a realistic portrait of alcoholism and the destructive force it brings to the life of everyone around it. I know alcoholics. I know the children of alcoholics. Believe me, I am in a good position to judge these things.
In the film, I especially love the scene where Whip is “fighting the minibar” as it were. You’ll know what I mean if you watched the film. If not, you’ll know when you see it. I’m also impressed with the way it seems to be connected to such a random event – but so well connected. I NEVER expected a film about alcoholism and facing your demons based on the wonderful, nail-biting opening action sequence. But hey, this is Robert Zemeckis. Only the guy who directed Back to the Future. No biggie.  And who better to portray it than veteran actor Denzel Washington? Every time I see him acting I am even more convinced that he deserves every award he gets and more.
But I do have a few problems with it. The ending. Spoiler alert people, look away now if you don’t want to hear about the ending. I don’t usually do this, I know but I passionately feel the ending is “wrong” so I MUST talk about it. What can I do, I’m an Aries. Ok, this is Hollywood, obviously they have to show him kicking the habit (of course they have to. This is not my problem), making peace with himself and “killing” his demons. There is, of course, an estranged ex-wife and a son he doesn’t talk to also in the picture. Now, like I said I know both alcoholics and the children of alcoholics. I felt that Whip making “complete” peace with his son was a little too much, too soon. Not that I’m saying that would never happen. I would, however, be happier with an “open” ending. You know. A tentative and slightly awkward meeting in the prison café for example. Positive, but no big hugs and kisses. If I may say this, living with an alcoholic means you get lied to by the person and hurt on a regular basis. And life experience tells me complete trust takes time to grow, especially if the matter has grown to the point that you haven’t spoken to your own father/son for years. That kind of hurt doesn’t just go away like magic. Ok, supposedly Whip has been sober for a year but I don’t know… It didn’t seem right to me. I mean yes, classic Hollywood dictates that the family unit must be re-united by the end. And to give it it’s due, this is a surprisingly modern family unit as Whip has a new girlfriend (albeit a rather cheesy storyline of a fellow addict (drugs) kicking the habit who he met in hospital. I know, I agree. But it’s better than nothing) thus the family is, you know a “modern” family with divorces and stuff. Like I said, I would have preferred a more tentative reunion. Because in real life, there is a good chance the family unit does not come back together again. In this film, this is not really even portrayed as a possibility…
So basically, Flight is a sensitive, though provoking film that portrays a lot of original and exciting stuff interspersed with some very typical Hollywoodisms. Oh well. With the sheer saturation of Hollywoodisms about these days, I’m just as happy with a mixture.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder