29 Haziran 2013 Cumartesi

WATCH YOUR BACK, IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE... "MARGIN CALL"

You guys know by now how dedicated I am to my films and my film watching. But even I need my sleep. Especially since, working in events, my hours are slightly “off kilter” at the best of times. It is generally not a good idea to put on a film in the middle of the night (and by that  I literally do mean around midnight) saying “oh I’ll just watch half an hour to wind down”.  This, generally never “actually” happens, even I know that. But I did not expect to throw caution to the wind and sit up until well after 3.00 a.m. (on a day that actually had an early start too), thereby knocking all my energy levels like dominos for days. So worth it. In short, first lesson, watch Margin Call at a reasonable hour. You will be compelled to finish it and trust me, the “knock-on effect” is best avoided, even though it is worth it for such a great film…
The storyline does not seem nearly as nail-biting as you might think at first glance. We open at an investment bank. It is the early stages of the economic crisis, hence cutbacks are the order of the day. The “axe-men” are brought in and an inordinately large number of people lose their jobs. In this crowd is the incredibly able risk management division head. Almost as an afterthought, as he is almost physically thrown out of the building, he passes a report he was working on to his protégé Peter Sullivan (Zachary Quinto of Heroes fame). While Peter is not quite sure what to make of it at first, he gets stuck in and soon comes to a rather terrifying conclusion. The company is literally moments away from financial disaster. With so much at stake frantic phone calls are made throughout the night as the big guns of the company (Kevin Spacey, Simon Baker, Jeremy Irons) gather in the dead of night to try and figure out how they can save themselves from this mess. And what the cost will be…
First of all, of course there are rumours going round that this is a “real” story of a big company but we shall pass on those as we cannot seem to find any legitimate and official evidence to that effect. I mean, I wouldn’t know, economics has never been my strong suite. Thankfully the film does an excellent job at “dumbing it down” so that I’m pretty sure you will get the exact nature of the problem if you have some sort of a grasp on economics. If, on the other hand, like me you have a mental block on the topic, it doesn’t matter. Even I got the general gist of it. And trust me, a general gist was more than enough to make the story wildly exciting.
Of course here the story is not so much about economy but morals. About disconnecting from your feelings to survive. And I mean, check out the cast, how can the film NOT be chock full of emotion with a cast like that? As a person rather used to casting Kevin Spacey as a “bad guy” (though I think having recently watched him in House of Cards does have something to do with that) I was slightly taken aback to see him cast as the one with the conscience this time. I mean of course he is brilliant in both roles but you know what I mean. He does make a particularly good villain.  

At the end of the day though, the story is as old as the hills and really about a choice we all face every day. Good or bad? Looking out only for yourself or looking out for your fellow man as well? What if looking out for your fellow man also ends up meaning looking out for yourself? Oh darling, I hear you cry, it’s a film about bankers and traders do stop philosophising. Ah but you see, that’s the beauty of it. If you take the point of view that life is a cut-throat, every man for himself type struggle (and I don’t necessarily myself, but I can see why it would be considered a valid argument), what better metaphor for it than the trading floor? Or to put it another way, what better way to discuss the value of ethics but in front of a backdrop of the epitome of ruthless capitalism? I think that’s the real reason I couldn’t quite take my eyes off it. Well you’ll just have to see it for yourself. We can discuss the whys and wherefores later on…  

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder