4 Kasım 2010 Perşembe

KEEP THE TISSUES HANDY... IT'S TIME FOR "THE KITE RUNNER"

I have been bitterly BITTERLY neglecting the “literature” side of this little fellow… This is why my update this week will be based mainly around books – there will even be an actual book in it! But before that, let’s cast our eyes over this little gem. Now I had read Khalid Husseini’s absolutely marvelous work “The Kite Runner” a while back – though why I never put it on the blog escapes me – and loved it. It made perfect sense that such a touching and emotionally rich work should be adapted to the big screen. The only surprise is that I had never actually heard of it until I was sheltering from the rain in a foreign country in a large bookstore. I didn’t speak the language; however, that DVD cover could have only meant one thing… A quick scan of the credit block behind (always has to contain the original name you see) confirmed my suspicion. And that is how me, my mother and my grandmother ended up watching said film a couple of weeks later… I am happy to let you know THIS is an adaptation that worked out at any rate…
I suppose I should give you a quick scan of the story. Luckily, the film adaptation is very faithful to the actual book, so if you have read the book, you can watch it in peace… Now, we are transported back to Afghanistan in the late 70’s. Before all the troubles began, before the Taliban, even before the Soviets… Amir is a little boy of around 10. His mother died when she was giving birth to him and he is being brought up by his father, a rich and powerful man who believes in “tough love” and all other things “manly”. Amir is a sensitive soul –even a bit of an artist, he tries to write, does not like playing rough with the other kids. He even gets pushed around a bit but his best friend Hassan, who is the son of his father’s servant Ali, always comes to his rescue, much to his father’s disgust… Their peaceful existence will be disrupted by two events… One that bitterly fractures the two children’s friendship (which I will leave you to discover in detail) and a second that threatens their very existence: The Soviet invasion. Amir’s father is known – renowned – for hating communists so he takes his son and everything he can realistically carry and leaves for a new beginning in the new world – America. The two will get there and even have their fresh start but then one day, the past contacts the now fully grown Amir on the phone… “There is a way to be good again” says the voice… “You need to come back”…
Approach this film with PLENTY of tissues. No matter where you look in this film, you will find a deep and real emotion that touches your soul. Add to that it's Oscar nominated soundtrack and you have nowhere to hide basically... The day to day life in Afghanistan before the troubles began. The relationship between Amir and his father – who often fluctuates between being proud of his son and wanting to give him a firm shake to “man him up”. I won’t even begin on Hassan and Amir. The film gets its name from a tradition of the area that I honestly didn’t know about before – kite tournaments. It’s a big thing apparently, every year the children of the area get together with carefully and lovingly prepared kites… The strings are reinforced with broken glass and glue paste. The aim is to use various tricks to cut the strings of the other kites and be the last kite standing. Kite running is the act of catching the kite that has been cut – finders, keepers. In our case, Amir being the master of the house, Hassan is the kite “runner” and the best in town too… Another fair warning I should give you is that you will find this film tough viewing on some counts – and there are many possible “counts”… A modern classic all the same though – not to be missed…

2 yorum:

  1. I thought the book was great and the movie was a fantastic adaptation. Books to film rarely work but this one certainly did! Glad you watched it!

    YanıtlaSil
  2. I know! As I discussed further down in the blogi even the legendary Breakfast At Tiffany's makes a bit of pigs ear of the book... Not this one though - allways a refreshing experience! :)

    YanıtlaSil