10 Mayıs 2013 Cuma

THE SCARIEST JOURNEY IS SOMETIMES THE ONE INTO YOUR OWN MIND : "FELICIA’S JOURNEY"


Oooh guys and dolls – this is all very exciting! We may have spotted my first ever sense of déjà vu! People who know me in real life may know this little quirk I have – at the age of 30 I can honestly say I have NEVER had déjà vu in my life. I strongly suspect it may be something completely made up by script writers and novelists but then again, the rest of the planet seems to disagree with me so I’m not entirely sure where that leaves us… Anyway, about this film. Well, for the entire first half of it, I could have sworn blind I had seen it before. I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out when and where. It was just a continual sense of familiarity, coupled almost – almost mind – with a sense of what the next picture would be. This sense sort of petered out towards the middle and vanished at the end. I may have become self-conscious. Then again, there is a much higher possibility I watched it when I was far too young to have a clue what it was about and got bored towards the middle. Well, either that or I got caught by my mother who put a stop to the whole thing. Good thing too really – if I was so young I can’t even remember it now, there was no way on earth I would have truly grasped what was happening. Oh. See what I did there, destroyed my own theory. *Sigh*. Oh well no déjà vu again. I guess I shall have to swallow my disappointment and get to my review…
Joe Hildich (supremely portrayed by Bob Hoskins) is an elderly catering manager. Living alone but seemingly content, he fills his time left free from work with experiments in the kitchen and re-watching tapes of Gala,  television chef with which he is seemingly a tiny bit obsessed  but hey,  we all need a hobby. His path crosses with Felicia. Felicia is a young girl from rural Ireland and seems a tad bit on the naïve side. She is looking for her boyfriend. She neither knows her boyfriend’s address or his place of work but it’s somewhere in the city. Making parts for lawnmowers. Possibly. As you can imagine her search isn’t going that well, so Mr Hildich takes her under his wing. This is a good thing, right? Not necessarily. This is not yet another cutesy film about a naïve pure heart giving a lease of life to a lonely old man. Well what is it then? I hear you cry. Dear reader, you will have to just watch, and see.
Ok, I need to do a bit more research but I may have found a new director to be crazily obsessed with. Atom Egoyan. I had heard a lot about him, and yet he was one of those many greats I simply hadn’t got round to yet. I now kick myself for the delay. As you can imagine, the whole “set-up” of the story is an entry point. An entry point to something sinister that you will not receive any clues about. I don’t want you to have clues because that is precisely the point of the film. There is seemingly nothing wrong with the picture to start with. But that weird aftertaste, that “something you can’t put your finger on” persists. It grows. It grows before you even quite know yourself what you’re so tense or nervous about. Then it hits you. And for the rest of the film you are left a juddering mass of “well what comes next??” It is rare that I am completely clueless about a storyline. I absolutely love it when it happens. Especially in film this good. This kind of film is also a dying breed, if you will. These days, psychology seems to have fallen by the wayside, being taken over in popularity by monsters and such like in horror, and action heroes or romances in general. In fact, and I say this often, there is nothing as scary as the human mind if you look at it up close. I don’t know, maybe that’s why we’ve stopped looking up close. Then again, if you’re like me, you ‘ll be all over the really scary stuff, even if it gives you terrible nightmares later (since I don’t remember most of my dreams either that’s a bit of a cop-out for me too. Yes, I do rather suspect there may be something odd going on what with the déjà vu thing and this, but that’s a different story. I think). Suffice it to say my dears; I haven’t watched anything this creepy in a very, VERY long time. This is old school quality of the highest degree – perfect for old-school peeps like yours truly…  

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder