23 Mayıs 2013 Perşembe

SOMETIMES IT HITS YOU LIKE A WAVE : "THE IMPOSSIBLE"


Before anyone says anything, the title wasn't meant as a pun or a joke. I, for one, personally know what it feels like to be hit by waves of desperation and despair. I assure you it's nothing to laugh about. 
Well this is a rather historical moment, wouldn’t you say, folks? Because, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first big-budget film about the tsunami in Thailand.  Following the true story of a very real family who was only one of many to be hit by this devastating calamity, the film gives us a very real, very emotional taster of what it feels like to be caught up in something so terrible and of such a magnitude…
This is the story of Henry (Ewan McGregor), Maria (Naomi Watts) and their three children Lucas, Thomas and Simon. They are a normal family, with normal worries and concerns who has come to Thailand for a well-deserved Christmas break. However, daily concerns about setting the burglar alarm and their careers are very quickly swept to one side when the tsumani hits. Henry and the two younger boys, Simon and Thomas are swept in one direction, Lucas, the eldest and their mother in another… What will become of them? Even if they manage to survive this calamity, with the ensuing chaos, how will they ever find each other again?
I have heard mixed reviews of this film oddly enough. The greater part, it seems, found the film deeply emotional. I watched it with a group of friends and some were categorically in floods of tears almost throughout. And I must say, even though I am – sadly perhaps – turning into a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things – the film is emotionally charged to say the least. It did rather feel as if you had a rhinoceros – or something heavy to that effect – sitting on your chest for quite a while after the film ended.
But then again, I have heard people sneering at the film slightly. They point out, for example, that it is, at the end of the day your common or garden disaster movie + tear jerker. Family gets torn apart, is then dramatically brought back together again. There is one token serious injury, the rest don’t have a scratch on them. In fact, like a lot of films of its kind, the film is not about the disaster itself at all, it is about, if anything, the tenacity of the human spirit. Which is admirable. But mayhaps slightly disrespectful of the actual people who suffered and died?
Now, sad to say,  I do agree with a lot of these arguments. I completely agree with one viewer (a review on imdb if I'm not much mistaken) who makes the point that the moment we see that all five have survived it is very clear they get back together again, safe and sound. I personally watched the whole film unable to suspend my disbelief as to not knowing what would happen next. I knew quite well what would happen in the end: The tearful reunion. That is because the film DOES follow the pattern of your common or garden tearjerker. It uses all the usual tropes to play on your emotions and I do see how you would be slightly disillusioned. I mean, apart from anything else, we see a picture of the real family at the end, and I hate to disappoint you, but they are very normal people. Very unlike the dashing Ewan and Naomi. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean this disrespectfully – at five feet tall and a size 11 (ehm), I am about as unlike Naomi Watts as they come. But my point is, yes, on one level this IS Hollywood basically going “Oh good. Another emotional story we can make movies about dashing couples about and rake in the cash.” You’d have to be very naïve to deny it.
However, don’t write this film off completely either. I have read “good” things about the production of this film too. For example, it would appear that almost all the Thai and foreign extras were actual survivors of the Tsunami. And I distinctly remember reading that the film had to change its trailer quite a bit, simply because it focused on the family too much and not on the tsunami and devastation – and hence considered disrespectful. And even though you do “know” what will happen in the end to the main characters, there are enough sub-plots and secondary characters around to remind you very starkly of the devastation and the lives that were utterly destroyed in this tragedy. From the moment the tsunami strikes, the story takes place in settings that are seemingly all more chaotic than the next one, crowded hospitals, devastated streets and it is this visual chaos that gives one the sense of constant fatigue and slowly being strangled in the multiplicity of data and sadness. It seems to me, anyway, that the film has done a good job of providing the emotion of the event too. And if you don’t believe me, do a short search online. There are multiple survivors who confirm that the film is indeed accurate in its portrayal.  Besides, if you just want to watch the film and have a good cry, you know what, that’s ok too. I love a good tearjerker, even though I do moan about them…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder