21 Mart 2013 Perşembe

A RATHER BELATED (EHM) REVIEW OF A TRULY ORIGINAL WORK : "THE ARTIST"


I know. You noticed. I’m really, really late with this one. Don’t get mad at me though, I WANTED to see it, it’s just… Circumstances. You know what I mean, right? Life happens. I was overjoyed when I finally got round to watching it though. I hope you’re not too mad at me. I’m a little mad at me to be honest, but come on. Admit it. I have been better about “keeping up to date” with the big films of the year so far. One little delay from oh so long ago… Not worth talking about, right?
Well, it’s funny you should agree with that, as The Artist doesn’t think anything is “worth talking about” (haha, see what I did there? You know, it’s a black and white silent film, no talking and… Oh never mind…). But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have anything to say. It is about that historical time in the life of cinema, when “movies” became “talkies”.  And everything changed. Careers were made and destroyed. But we, the public, loved it – and there has been no turning back ever since. In Hollywood – and all around the world – it was adapt or die for the actors. In The Artist, we follow the story of George Valentin (Jean DuJardin – Do you know something, I almost admire the man more every time I see him in something. Remember 99 cents? Amazing stuff…). The year is 1927, it is the heyday of the silent movie, and George Valentin is king. Until, that is, he is asked to speak. A true old-school star, George refuses to adapt. He is adamant this is just a passing craze and sticks to his old ways. In the meanwhile however, the ones who choose to adapt, like the beautiful Peppy Miller ( Berence Bejo) soar past him to the spotlight… Will George be able to regain his place in the sun – possibly alongside Peppy, to whom he is secretly attracted? Or will his pride mean that ultimately, George Valentin loses everything…
There, you see, I do like romantic films. And just on the level of the romantic – comedy side of it, the film is adorable. Bojo and Dujardin make a lovely couple. Plus, their love story rings quite true for modern times as George Valentin is actually married. So first up, it ticks an important box for me. The one thing I cannot abide in a film is the heroes being too perfect. I am not, of course, in anyway advocating that people go out and cheat on their partners and spouses, but you have to agree it’s more realistic this way. Sometimes, relationships end while you are still in them; you just have trouble accepting it. Then new ones begin. And rest assured, Peppy and George are the real deal – if George can overcome his pride of course.  Both George and Peppy are very real, very realistic and very likable and you get genuinely invested in their futures. I mean, I did anyway – and judging by the film’s success, so did millions of other people.
But then of course, there is the film’s signature move – the fact that it is “silent”. To be fair, I have not watched enough silent films to be able to compare it to the originals. I personally liked it a lot though. You may find that you need a bit more imagination than usually required to follow what is going on, as although the major dialogue is, of course, intertitled, the minor stuff is not. You just have to rely on your ability to follow what is going on. The ever- present music and the lack of sound effects (even minor things like doors closing etc.) may also prove disconcerting at the beginning, but honestly, I didn’t have trouble adapting at all – in fact it sucked me right in. It may have been the reason the film is relatively short at 90 minutes. I mean, I say that because these days all the “majors” seem to be over 2 hours long. I am beginning to wonder why to be honest, I mean, I’m not complaining but it’s a strange phenomenon… Anyhow, mustn’t get side-tracked. The Artist. Darn good film. Watch it J


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder