7 Mart 2013 Perşembe

A FOUR-FOOTED PERSPECTIVE ON THE HORRORS OF WAR: "WAR HORSE"


Ok, hand on heart. You have to admit it, in the scheme of things; these fellas often get missed out. Heck, they sometimes don’t even get a mention. Especially if we’re talking about war.  War is horrible, no one wants it, and no matter which way you look at things, a lot of people end up getting hurt and it is an absolute tragedy. Thing is, some of the “people” getting hurt are actually animals. I was on Facebook the other day and saw a very touching picture. A marine and his dog were standing in front of a memorial for all the marine dogs that had lost their lives in battle. The caption read “some heroes have four paws and fur”. I think it’s especially heroic, not least because these animals don’t actually understand what they are fighting for. They trust us. They go along with it. They do their best, sometimes to the bitter end. I think this is the reason films like War Horse is important. Let’s remember our animal friends. Let’s remember their sacrifices too…
Albert Naracott leads a tough life. He lives on a poor farm with his mother and his father, a rather embittered veteran of the Boer wars. His pride and joy is Joey, a beautiful thoroughbred horse his father purchased more on a whim than anything else. At the time, nobody thought anyone could get a day’s farm work out of Joey. But Albert knows he’s special, and so is their friendship. The couple are inseparable, that is, until the First World War Breaks out. The army needs everything, and “everything” includes horses. The family needs money. Albert is heartbroken but Joey is sold to the army. So begins the adventure of Joey. We follow him all through the horrors of the First World War, and thanks to him and the people whose lives he enters; we witness human stories on both sides of the trenches. The horror and fear in the Germans and the British as they prepare to fight each other to the death. The French civilians as they desperately try to survive the horrors ravaging their country. And the animals who are clinging on to dear life just as firmly as the humans…
Now, there are two ways of looking at this film. I could, potentially, be quite mean about it if I wanted to. I mean, this film is the latest incarnation of a genre that my generation has grown up with and lovingly giggled at later on in life. I am talking about films like Lassie, or Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Joey is wonderful, his antics, the way he interacts with other horses and his ever varying tirade of owners brings tears to the eyes… However… I mean I have never owned a horse but seriously… It gets to the point that you begin to expect him to rise up on his hind legs and speak English. Or eat his hay with a knife and fork. I don’t know. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the film isn’t adorable. (I mean heck, I loved Skippy the bush kangaroo so much, I WANTED a pet kangaroo, just ask my mom if you don’t believe me). But realistic, it definitely ain’t… And I mean, while we’re on the subject of realism, every single filmic cliché is successfully crammed into one film through Joey’s constant changing of hands. I mean, again, since we are talking about a master like Spielberg here, it is all very tastefully done and very well blended but still… A touch of originality now and then would not have hurt. At all.
But, on the other hand, as I said at the beginning of this post, this film makes an excellent point. Animals fought – and still fight – just as much as humans in the wars. They suffered and they died. They changed hands as if they were furniture (which is another subtle point made in the story of Joey) without any consideration for their feelings at all. If nothing else, this story helps us remember them. So go ahead. Watch it. Add some chocolate. Or a glass of wine. And tissues. This film will probably not change your world, it is more goo than anything else, but as they say, a little goo now and then is cherished by the wisest men… I think that’s how that quote went anyway… J

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder