7 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

A LA FOLIE... PAS DU TOUT (HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT)



This is really one of those films that sparked something in me. I don’t know how to describe it, but I have always had the utmost love and respect for this film, as it were. Now it’s not the best known of films by far. And again, I know, thinking back I most definitely do have a “thing” for French cinema, but then again, come on. Who can blame me?  This film has a special place for me in short, and I cannot believe that I have completely overlooked it. I had to triple-check my previous posts. But no. It isn’t there. Well, it is now.
Angelique (Audrey Tatou) is an art student living in Paris. Her life seems to be going pretty well. She has just won a prestigious grant to exhibit her work in a very famous gallery, she has friends who love her and a man she is simply mad about. There is a small thorn in this rose garden however, as Loic (Samuel Le Bihan) – the afore mentioned man – is married. Angelique however, is confident he will leave his wife for her and that any day now, they will sail off into the sunset together… However, when viewed from Loic’s perspective there is something much, much more sinister going on here. Confused? So is Loic…
I do fully realise that there are many things about this film that may put you off at the beginning. Firstly, it was released in the wake of Amelie, when Audrey Tatou briefly became one of those names that seem to appear in every single French film released abroad. Amelie was great, but people got a bit sick of seeing her as I recall. And the first half of the film is disturbingly like Amelie – in fact it is quite plain that Tatou draws from the same character up to a certain point. Plus, when you watch just the first half, you might easily think that this is a very, very second rate love story. It seemingly uses all the classic tropes of melodrama and seems to offer nothing up in way of an argument to not abandon it mid-film and search for something better to do. Don’t do that. Really, don’t. The film is all about changes of perspective, and it reminds me A LOT OF David Fincher’s Fight Club in that respect. There is one key piece of information, and when it slots into place, the film changes tone. Suddenly it is no longer a sappy love film but actually full of tension and danger. There are actual deaths and Loic must use all is resources to actually protect his family and himself. It sounds like a clash of films that couldn’t possibly go together right? Wrong. And do yourself a favour. Don’t research the film too much. Try not to read the blurb on the cover – it actually gives the game away where I live atm. This film was made to be watched and left to unfurl on you at its own pace. You’ll enjoy it a lot better.
I also love this film because it is, actually, rather a novel take on Amelie. Think about it. If Amelie actually existed in real life, after all the things she does throughout the film could you with a straight face call her sane? Could you be sure that she wouldn’t actually hurt someone? Does love actually “tame” us all the way Hollywood would have us believe?  There are a lot of interesting questions being asked here… I feel you will be glad you stopped to consider it too J

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder