28 Aralık 2012 Cuma

A SEQUEL 30 YEARS IN THE MAKING : "THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOWDOG"


Anyone living in the UK knows that this one had to make the cut this week. Ok, it isn’t technically a film, heck it’s only 23 minutes long actually. But it’s a Christmas tradition. We have waited for the sequel for nigh on 30 years. Admittedly, back in the day when I first watched it I was actually traumatized by The Snowman. Not because the snowman melted. Because in my mind, somehow, the snowman actually abducted the child – heck, I was relieved he melted! The fact that I was terrified of heights even back in those days when I was knee-high to a grasshopper wouldn’t have contributed to my enjoyment of the flight scenes. But all the same. Come on, this is a historical moment peeps.
Now, this is usually the point at which I tell you what the story is about. But, fair warning, we got into an extremely heated family discussion as to what the premise of the story was. I, therefore, missed a large part of the first five minutes. But I will try and reflect my school of thought. There are several opposing schools of thought (yes, every detail matters, we're that kind of family). And naturally I’m not checking this online. I am confident in my film analysis abilities. So there. (Edit: Just before posting this update I actually did a Google search: YES it is the ORIGINAL HOUSE with a DIFFERENT boy. In case anyone who participated in the afore-mentioned heated discussion is reading). 
The story takes place in the original house of the snowman. Only it is years later and there is a new family living there now. The little boy of the family is about the same age as our original hero, although it’s all a bit sad in that his beloved dog has just died. Anyway, one day, when playing in his room, he discovers the old box where the original snowman’s things along with a picture of said snowman and our original hero are kept. Our current hero likes this idea and next time it snows, makes a snowman with said materials. He then goes on to construct a snow dog in memory of his beloved  dog.  Lo and behold, on the stroke of midnight the snowman comes alive – and so does the “snow dog”! . Let the festivities begin J
Ok, one thing. They have changed the soundtrack. They actually axed “walking in the air”. There are several music professionals in the family whose professional opinion it is that they should have at least done variations on the theme as they flew over the city. Apart from that though, it’s spot on. I feel that following the original style of animation was absolutely the right call. And even though, I mean, naturally there is nothing wildly original about it, it is just a warm, fuzzy bundle of joy to watch.
One alarming thing I learnt about myself though is that I actually have now got into the rather antisocial habit of  blurting out the ends of films – or rather my predictions of them – which these days often turn out to be right (ehm ehm. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything.) I did the self-same thing and somehow amazed the family at the end of this one as well. I would normally jot down being able to predict the end of the film as an actual minus, but in this case… Well. We’re watching it because it’s a classic folks, not for its originality value. Merry Christmas. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder