1 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

"THE TOURIST" THAT GOT A BIT LOST


Now I’m really confused about this one. My boyfriend has some part in this – I’m sorry baby but it has to be said. It was yet another of the more recent films I had been unable to keep in touch with you see. My boyfriend having enjoyed it a lot was telling me about it, all emotion and excitement and he ran all the way through. Right to the end. Including the plot twist. I didn’t see it coming, I don’t know why I didn’t stop him but it happened. We then watched the film anyway, which is fine but there was something missing... I mean, I’m honestly not sure whether it was the fact that I already knew the plot twist or that the film was lacking something. But the reviews I have of the film are mixed – very mixed. Hence my sneaking suspicion that the film is not entirely up to scratch. Mr Depp, you disappoint me.
The story is that of spies and deceit. Elise (Angelina Jolie) is wanted by the police. The thing is, her lover is wanted even more. The problem is, no one knows what he looks like because he has had extensive plastic surgery changing his face completely. One tends to do that when one is wanted by half a dozen international security agencies AND a dangerous mobster whose money one has stolen. Of course Elise is not about to give her lover up that easily so she hatches a plan. A decoy in the shape of the unsuspecting Frank (Johnny Depp), an American tourist that happened to be passing by is chosen and interacted with. This suits Elise because now everyone thinks Frank is her lover. Frank, however, is now one of the most wanted men in Venice.
Now. The so-called plot twist is so obvious, I don’t even feel the need to slip in a disclaimer. I’m not entirely sure why this is the case though. I did know the twist before I watched the film, this much is true. However, the thing is it seemed... A little too obvious.  Just a tad. And when you have that wrong you see, settings, acting, direction... It’s all very nice but that’s the thing with spoilers. They spoil things. And I think it is the fact that the film tries to conceal something so obvious that means that it has not been nearly as popular as one would have initially thought it would be. I mean, that is the point with stories. The anticipation. Without that, seriously, what do you have? So honestly, my boyfriend is not to blame. He may have had a bit of an effect on my experience but seriously. Hiding things in plain sight is a tricky business. And The Tourist gets it wrong. Oh it’s funny. It’s amusing to watch of an evening. Then again though, if you want a touch more from your cinema, you can give it a miss. Seriously. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder