15 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

"PROMETHEUS" - A TRIP TO OUR FUTURE AND PAST


I bet you had begun to wonder where this one had got to. After reviewing the entire “alien” series with semi-religious fervour, it would be downright odd of me to have skipped Prometheus. Well, I hadn’t. I just hadn’t got round to it yet. Well, that and a million other things in my life, but that’s the topic of another blog post all together. I seriously need lessons or something in planning my life but anyway. The point of this particular post is that I have got round to Prometheus. I have watched it. I desperately need to talk about it.
Ok, so as you know this is the “prequel” to the whole series we have all ranted on about all these years. This is the story of “how it all began” in more senses than one. Allow me to explain.
“How did it all begin” is the precise two archaeologists in 2093 claim to be able to answer. The answer lies in a planet system far, far away from Earth, and this connection seems to go back thousands and thousands of years. The only way of finding out the rest of the story is, however, to check out this planet system. Of course, the mission, founded by “the company” takes off and at the far end of the universe, mysteries and secrets begin to get uncovered? So who are the “alien”s? How did they become what they are? What started that entire story anyway? And possibly,  the origins of life on earth… Our friends – and indeed, we ourselves-   will discover the answer to all these questions and more. But the thing is, in discovering these, they will inadvertently unleash unthinkable terror on the planet… Think Pandora’s box, only bigger… Much bigger…
Ok, so there’s no surprises about the storyline and the way it all goes, right? And as you can guess, yup, aliens, chases scenes, some horrendous and messy deaths (that caught me completely by surprise as far as timing goes by the way) all the classics, all there. The only thing I will “tut tut” a bit about is the slight reliance on jump-scares. It’s a cheap scare to be honest; I much prefer a steady build-up of terror. But then again, if they are particularly well-done, I can forgive them. And they were particularly well-done, especially since I was watching it in the middle of the night. I nearly jumped out of my skin. And it isn’t like the film is completely devoid of atmosphere, quite the reverse, but Scott chooses to use the tool in a completely different way.
And the origins? Well, you get an answer as far as that is concerned. But, ok, there are two different ways of looking at this. My boyfriend complains that the explanation is too vague, and that basically, a film that claims to “explain” something should have a bit more meat on its bones as far as explanations go, which is a fair point. Another fair point is that the explanation, well, it’s nothing we couldn’t actually piece together ourselves. And the details of the explanation have very much been substituted by an impending sense of doom – understandable as we know what’s coming next. I agree with these points but I reckon it’s just a different way of doing it. I mean, it’s a typical horror trope, some things are much better left to the imagination as far as being terrifying is concerned – not least because everyone will imagine what is more terrible for them and be EVEN MORE scared if you get what I mean.  So yes, this is very much a showcase of amazing special effects and slick camera-work. And, incidentally a prequel to the Alien franchise. I mean, I have got to add one point, the film very obviously has religion as its center-piece (oh come on, you knew that. I mean, they are looking for how life on earth began for God's sake, the connection is staring you in the face waiting to be made). And as we all know, religion is one of those topics that... You know. It's a sensitive issue. However, the question to ask is, does it entertain? Does it go down well when you kick back of an evening with that extra helping of ice-cream you really shouldn’t be eating? YES. So go ahead, watch it. You know you want to. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder