27 Eylül 2012 Perşembe

POSSIBLY MY IDEA OF A PERFECT FILM : I GIVE YOU KING "CRY BABY"


  I try to be professional while I write this blog. This may seem strange as I am actually doing this for pleasure not work. But still, standards must be kept up and all that, and I try and be objective and honest and all that when I review films. Like everyone, however, I have my Achilles heel. I don’t admit this too often, but those who know me know this well. If Johnny Depp is in it, the chances are I am probably going to love this film. No matter what the rest of the technical qualities. I mean, I will notice the rest of the film. I will bear whatever is wrong with it in mind when I talk about it. But I will also like it. For Johnny’s sake. *sigh*.
But into all that comes a film like Cry Baby. Ladies and gentlemen, you would be very hard pressed to squeeze more things I like into a single movie. It’s a musical. It’s a ‘50s musical. It has ‘50s music in it (in case you hadn’t made the connection). It has Johnny Depp in it. It has absurd comedy and kitch coming out of its ears. I am well aware that film critics everywhere may not necessarily agree with me but I just may have discovered perfection dear readers. In my universe, anyway.
So what is Cry Baby about? Well, we’re in Baltimore, the ‘50s. And the town can be roughly divided into territories of two gangs. One, the Squares, the “goodie two shoes”, who have the full support of the adults and the “Drapes” aka the juvenile delinquents (these are all real gangs by the way and based on the memories of writer and director John Waters but I’ll get to that in just a second). The head of the Drapes gang is Wade Walker, better known as Cry Baby, who can sing and croon like Elvis himself and can make the girls swoon with his ability to shed a single tear. Love, however, knows no boundaries and one day, he falls for a girl. The girl – Allison - happens to be very “high up” in the Squares gang. However, she is actually “sick of being good” and Cry Baby has a heart of gold for all his bravado and showing off and with a bit of a “bad girl makeover” Allison is soon the “queen” on Cry-baby’s arm. However, the small town, Allison’s ex-boyfriend and the “system” are determined to keep the lovers apart. Will they overcome the obstacles and get together in the end?
I love this film because it doesn’t put on airs and graces. It doesn’t take itself too seriously. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a serious (and successful) effort at making a brilliant film. But at the end of the day it is a fifty’s film full of fifty’s stuff that may well look like kitch to us today. Frankly, the film really, really doesn’t care. John Walker grew up in Baltimore where the Drapes (the real ones) and all their escapades ruled the headlines. Like all respectable kids growing up, he really wanted to be a Drape. Whether he succeeded or not (I got the impression not from the interview but who knows), he has put that whole era well, truly and completely into the film. And the comedy. The absurd comedy, oh my God. I know that both musicals and absurd comedy are acquired tastes more than anything else, but for those who like them, this film offers perfection, be it through the music or the performances. Johnny Depp is gorgeous as Cry-Baby and my other favourite in the film is without a shadow of a doubt Iggy Pop who stars as his “step-grandfather”. I’ll let you discover for yourself how that works out J
Now, if you’re going to feel all self-conscious and weird because you’re not watching the next “cool and hip thing” give this a miss. But if you’re not pre-occupied with “cool and hip” and want to really let rip, and I mean toe-tapping, guffawing and actually applauding the screen, this is the one. Plus it has Johnny Depp. I mean, come on, this is a proposition you just can’t refuse… Right? 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder