6 Eylül 2012 Perşembe

BRAVE - A MOTHER - DAUGHTER TALE...


Ok. It’s a Disney – Pixar movie. Needless to say, I am going to rant about this one. Like a lot of people I spoke to, until I actually set foot in the cinema, I had only the vaguest idea as to what the film was about. A brave young girl, finding your own destiny, there were the vignettes with the three little brothers, Billy Connolly comes into it at some point… But I mean. It’s Pixar. How bad could it be? Naturally it was brilliant. Calendars may claim I’m going to be 30 in an alarmingly short while but my inner child needs Disney. And Pixar. Especially the two together. And don’t you hide in the back there, I know a lot of you out there agree with me.
So what IS Brave about, I hear you cry. Well, the premise of the story is quite a classic one. But I mean, is there really such a thing as a truly original story these days? I reckon not. With the exception or real life tales (because the truth is almost always stranger than fiction) I find that that you can foresee the course a lot of tales are going to take, especially in more mainstream films. But it’s not always about the story is it? It’s also about the execution. Especially in Pixar. And with me anyway, the fact that I could pretty much guess what was coming in no way meant I didn’t wave and shout at the screen (there were a lot of children in the cinema, I think it went unnoticed) and get very weepy frequently (the only thing stopping a full-blown bawl was the fact that I had makeup on and was going out later that evening). “Oh do get on with it!” I hear you cry. Fair point. So here is what Brave is actually about.
The person who is brave is Merida. She is a princess, the daughter of the head of a Scottish clan who lived in ancient times, when magic still lived in the world. But along with magic, existed families, tradition and duties. And although Merida would infinitely prefer riding, archery and woodland adventures as daily duties, her mother insists she must learn to be a lady. And if Merida wasn’t in enough trouble with learning to sow and play musical instruments, the day comes when tradition dictates Merida should marry one of the sons of the clan chiefs. Merida is NOT amused by this prospect, especially when said clans, clan chiefs and their sons arrive almost unannounced (to Merida at least) on her doorstep.  What Merida needs, as far as she is concerned is to change her destiny. And that would involve nothing short of a miracle. Or magic. This is why Merida jumps at the opportunity when fate leads her to a witch’s cottage in the woods. Surely a little magic can only help her predicament? The thing is, as we all know, when making requests from witches and other magical creatures, one needs to be specific. If one is not, one can find oneself in trouble. A lot of trouble…
This film is all a Disney film should be, with all the benefits and gloss of coming out of Pixar. It’s brilliant. It’s funny. It’s very emotional. And the reason it’s emotional is that it’s all about mothers and daughters. It’s a funny old bond, isn’t it really? One’s mother is often the one person you can count on through anything and everything and yet mothers and daughters especially almost seem to be made to fight. I should know, and if you don’t believe it ask my Mom. My Mom means everything to me now, she’s my confidante, agony aunt and I would be completely lost without her. But the road leading to this point in our relationships was fraught with screaming, slamming doors and flying furniture (I'll give you a hint, my mother neither screams, nor throws furniture. What can I tell you, I was a difficult teenager). That’s what this film is about. I defy any daughter who is close to her mother today to watch it and not need a slew of tissues (one little girl sitting near us actually had to be physically cuddled and comforted by her Mom during the film at some points. But don’t worry, the film doesn’t go all Bambi on you). Now. You go and watch Brave. Then do me a favour, go and give your Mom a hug if it’s physically possible. I know that’s what I wanted to do. (Mom, consider yourself cuddled. I love you.)          

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder