28 Mart 2012 Çarşamba

LOOKING FOR LOVE WITH "ALBERT NOBBS"

The Oscar® season is newly behind us, leaving us a lot of things to discuss. Well only one really, The Artist having successfully swept the floor with the rest of the candidates. I will, in the next couple of weeks do my best to update you on my humble opinion on the winners and candidates. It may come in the form of themed weeks or they may just pop up in mixed bags, as yet I am not at all sure. In any case, I want to start with this little gem. I watched this one shortly before the Oscar® ceremony, I had no idea it was up for an Oscar®. Now I do know I’m very, very sad it didn’t get it. Watching so many films (it kinda comes with the territory of Film Studies, it becomes harder and harder to actually get swept away by films. This one had me laughing and crying at once all through the film. You do want to miss this.
Albert Nobbs (Glenn Close) is a respected butler in a respectable hotel in 19th century Ireland. Mr. Nobbs has the reputation of a hard-worker and a gentleman, also as a quiet man who largely keeps to himself. However, Albert Nobbs has a secret. Albert Nobbs, is a woman. Born in abject poverty into a world where women on their own didn’t have much of a chance to work and make a respectable living, Albert (formerly Alba) has been living as a man for a great many years; so much so that he has practically forgotten what life as a woman was like. And then one day there arrives at the hotel a certain Mr. Hubert Page. Albert takes very little notice of him at first. Little does he know that he has arrived at a turning point in his life that will change him forever.
This is not a romantic comedy. I am fully aware of what you thought at the end of the first paragraph. Oh, she falls in love with the guy, can she show she’s biologically a woman blah blah… No. I can give this much away; Albert Nobbs is most definitely gay. He is, in fact transgendered; and dreams of finding a wife one day not a husband. It is the fact that his life was lead in the 19th century, when such a thing could not even be dreamt of, that gives the film its underlying tragic feel. In fact the film is very, very skillful at blending the various tones. The general undertone and background of this film is nothing short of tragic. I defy you not to be crying your eyes out by the end of it in fact. But it blends this deep sadness that is the life of Albert Nobbs with just the right amounts of comedy, suspense and intrigue to make the whole thing an absolutely nail-biting rollercoaster of emotion. Living as he has done, Albert Nobbs has also completely forgotten certain social rules – indeed perhaps he never really learnt? – and we cringe, and if you’re anything like me actually yell instructions at the screen, as he desperately tries to make a go of this new lease of life that has seemingly been offered. Like I said, I’m partial to this film. You really, really need to watch it.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder