28 Mart 2012 Çarşamba

A SLICE OF HISTORY WITH "J. EDGAR"

First of all, I am surprised I am putting the review of this film in this particular category. I don’t know about you but I personally had no idea at all he was gay. But then again, the film contains a lot of revelations and new information – especially for someone whose knowledge of modern American History is ever so slightly rusty. This is, in fact one of the films that, for me personally, contains one of the highest levels of intellectual curiosity mixed with emotional involvement that I have witnessed in a film in a long time. Which is why I was even more surprised to find out that it was directed by Clint Eastwood. I have made quite a lot of fun of him in the past, especially Million Dollar Baby whose ending I felt contained every emotional tear-jerking trope known to man plus their dogs, but what can I say… The man’s style is growing on me…
J. Edgar is, a lot of you will have gathered if they didn’t know already, the life story of J. Edgar Hoover (played by Leonardo Di Caprio). As is right with such a public figure, the main emphasis is on his public life, his achievements and political machinations, not least among them the founding of the F.B.I and numerous American Federal laws that he helped come to life. But this is not merely a political film. A nice balance is struck with Hoover’s character and private life. Having lived for over half his life with and under the influence of his strict and domineering mother (Judi Dench) Hoover is reserved and has, shall we say difficulties in certain areas. He is also rather fussy and hard to work with if you’re not used to it. But he is also a brilliant tactician, capable of immense forward thinking and was truly built for police work. We examine the man, his life, his achievements and his relationships in an emotional rollercoaster that deserves every accolade it gets…
When he first made his “big break” on the big screens with Titanic, there were two “camps” about Leonardo Di Caprio. You either loved him (if you were in this category you probably had a crush on him too) or you hated him with a passion. I was one of the former (and yes I had a crush on him at the time too). I am glad to say however, think what you will of him on “other” planes (ehm), as far as acting is concerned I can happily confirm that I have backed a winner. He has turned out to be a brilliant, versatile actor capable of pulling off the most challenging roles. And he absolutely stuns as J. Edgar Hoover in this latest big screen hit. The role itself is challenging because the story itself is so fascinating. Hoover was a true blue eccentric (to put it mildly) and that in itself is something to marvel at. His lifelong relationship with Clive Tolworth is touching to the core, not least the struggle Hoover has to go through in his own mind as he tries to accept his own homosexuality. He is not an easy man, not even a pleasant one from time to time, but you cannot help but feel his pain, especially as Di Caprio does such a wonderful job of portraying him. Of course as long as we’re talking about acting a word must be said about Judi Dench as Hoover’s formidable (and slightly creepy) mother. Lastly, it is an excellent overview of modern American history and a behind the scenes look at events that I personally had just about only heard mentioned and new nothing about in detail. Don’t be intimidated by the length of this little monster (2 hours and 16 minutes). You will be so wrapped up in it that you will not notice the time fly by…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder