21 Ekim 2010 Perşembe

ÜÇ MAYMUN / THREE MONKEYS

Now, I am fully aware that the film I am about to review is a supremely “niche” affair. This is a Turkish film by one of the most famous Turkish directors Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Now, as a person I honestly don’t know the guy. As a director one either loves or hates him. Well such is the case for most of his tribe – he’s a minimalist. Now don’t get scared by terminology, you know the kind of film I mean : Minimal dialogue, minimal camera action, minimal special effects if any. Editing is merely a means to go from one scene to another, in short there is very little of a lot of things to the point that it’s surprising there is a “resulting film” at all. Add to that the fact that in quite a few of these films symbolism features quite heavily and the resulting concoction can prove “unwatchable” for a lot of people. I sympathize: I am one of these people. Most of the time. I am also open to change and new information which is mainly why I try my best to attend seminars, classes and the like concerning different areas of the cinema it was during one of these classes that I was introduced to a novel way of looking at the film. Now, I am VERY far from being an instant convert to minimalist cinema but after being introduced a new point of view to the whole affair I decided to try and express my emotions on the matter to you all and see if I could get you to give a go as well.

The story is that of a driver, a modest man and the personal driver of a local politician. One night the above – mentioned local politician has a traffic accident, killing a pedestrian. The elections are approaching and he doesn’t want to “dirty his name” so he asks the driver to take the fall for him. He will pay good money, take care of his wife and son… The driver is a poor man – and accepts. Life in his little home goes on pretty much as usual until his son fails his university entrance exams. Ismail – his son – doesn’t want to re-study he wants to buy a car and be a shuttle driver for a local school. Since the mother doesn’t work and the father’s employer is their only means of support she goes to him for the money even though she’s pretty sure her husband would not approve. The local politician will not only give her the money but professes that he will “do anything for her”. This will have devastating results on each member of the small family…

Now, the thing to bear in mind while watching this film is that it is the story and the story-telling that is in the foreground here. Nothing more, nothing less. Even the story itself is not that original. That’s why I only recommend this film for those of us who actually enjoy the technicalities of a film (and like I said I am not necessarily one of those people!) What is original – and what jars about this film – is the fact that a lot of the theoretically key moments or “big events” of the film are actually shown on screen. We are led up to them and then we focus on the results, leaving the larger part of the work to our imaginations. The other thing I like about minimalist cinema – or rather the examples of minimalist cinema I have actually liked – is the closeness to real life and real people. The story, the surroundings the acting… For all the world you are in a lower middle class household in Turkey not a film set. It gives one the spooky feeling of eavesdropping – this is a little odd but also connects with the voyeur that exists in all of us. Admittedly, being a “new convert” I still find some of the sequences “too long”. Especially since “action” as we are used to is at a minimum and the whole affair is above all psychological. However, if you feel like something different, this is a good quality example – with , I hasten to add, no symbolism. I also want to add that the guy didn't get chosen best director at the Cannes film festival for nothing... Recommended for the adventurous…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder