8 Ekim 2010 Cuma

MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL

Ok, so this is a film a friend and colleague has been bugging me to watch for absolutely AGES. He even went as far as procuring a personal copy for me (bless him). This was about a year ago and much to my mates’ horror, I have only just got round to watching it. I now understand that horror – this little known (I think?) classic ranks among the immortals. Plus, it features a rather nostalgic cast like a VERY young Jude Law (still just as gorgeous!) and John Kusack. Another surprise was the fact that the director of the film is actually Clint Eastwood – I am going to have to seriously review my opinion of the guy. I always viewed him as… Well you know. Clint Eastwood. He is actually a director capable of conveying deep emotion. Even in a film about homosexuality – and that I would NOT have expected from Mr. Eastwood. My mistake, evidently…

So, with John Kelso (John Kusack) we go to Savanah. A pleasant little town comprised of “good folk” and a few eccentrics – one of which is eccentric millionaire and bon viveur Jim Williams (Kevin Spacey). Williams is generally admired and envied by the community and his standing “makes up” for the fact he is actually gay so everybody kinda “overlooks” the fact. Mr. Williams is famous for his extravagant Christmas Parties and Kelso, a freelance journalist, is sent to cover this year’s party. However, when Williams’s young, rebellious and slightly violent protégé/ lover Billy (Jude Law) is found shot dead in Williams’ library on the night after the party, Kelsos’ whole stay takes a very different turn. Now not only is a man he has befriended and has come to like being tried for murder, the whole town that now “officially knows” he is gay, slowly starts to turn against him. Kelso is aided on his way by Voodoo priestess Minerva and the inimitable Lady Chablis as he finds out that sometimes in the hearts of men, good and evil, love and hate, prejudice and acceptance are all only a heartbeat apart…

The film is based on John Berendt’s book of the same name. And although certain characters and dialogue were created for dramatic purposes – and neither the film nor the book makes a secret of this – some of the characters are quite real. To the point that the Lady Chablis is actually played by herself! She is by far my favorite character in the film by the way… Now, at a whopping 155 minutes long, you may be “intimidated” by the film. Don’t be. The name may also seem to convey a sense of something “deep and philosophical” that will bore you. No way. It is a brilliant film that conveys a very poignant analysis of society and the human spirit. Not necessarily a happy message but a true message. Don’t be like me. Don’t wait a year to watch the bloody thing – just get on to it. In my heart, the film has shot up to the Top 10 of my favorite movies of all times…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder