28 Ekim 2010 Perşembe

NOT AN AVERAGE FLOWER - MAGNOLIA

Magnolia is just “one of those films”. It has to be actually seen to be understood. “You have to have been there.” I watched it – and loved it - which was good, because I sat down to it with high hopes of adding it to my blog. (It’s so disappointing when you sit down to a film and go “Oooh, now, I wonder if this will make it to the blog?” and then fall asleep half way through…) I have decided long ago that I will only add the films I myself enjoyed – that was the point of the website. There are of course a lot of films I watch and get bored witless – I do watch films for a living you know – but this was never the point. I seem, however, to be getting a little off topic. Let’s get back to Magnolia and the critique thereof…

Now, what of the story? This is a story about choices and life, and how we are all a lot more connected than we might first think… Earl Partrdige (Jason Robards) is dying of cancer. His young wife Claudia (Julianne Moore) and Phil (Philip Seymour Hoffman) are caring for him. Earl’s dying wish is to make contact with his estranged son, Jack (Tom Cruise). Jack however, is now a self-help guru and wants nothing to do with his father… Jimmy Gator – a TV host - is also dying of cancer… He has not led a model life and wants to reconcile with his daughter before it’s too late. His daughter is a depressed cocaine addict and wants nothing to do with her father. In the meanwhile, the current and past child prodigies of Gator’s TV show are both facing battles of their own…

If that sounds complicated it is a bit. But unconnected ? No. This is a supremely intelligent film about life, the choices we make and how much the “little” things count… There are many scenes that will move you to the marrow of your bones and many that will fascinate you – but the whole story is so cleverly woven I couldn’t possibly “take a piece out” to show to you without “knocking the rest over”…Technically speaking it’s a very fast paced film. The story goes quickly from time to time and so does the editing. I’m kinda used to this kind of thing and it was ok but you might find it a touch difficult to follow at first, so choose a calm day for it. Another thing : The cast. I mean, who isn’t in the film?! Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Julianne Moore, double Oscar®winner Jason Robards, William H. Macey… And the film is an Oscar ® nominee to boot – Best Original Screenplay, Best Muisc and Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Tom Cruise. Lastly, please don’t let the fact that the film is three hours long “upset” you. I would like to remind you at this point that “The Godfather” is just as long and an absolute and utter cult classic ;)

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder