3 Haziran 2010 Perşembe

SUMMER CROSSING

Well, hand on heart; it has been a SHAMEFULLY long time since I reviewed any literature… And truth be told that’s because it has been an equally shamefully long time since I actually read any good literature. But in my defense I was out to remedy that last weekend when I made another discovery: I have never read any Truman Capote! I’ve seen the film starring Philip Seymour-Hoffman, yes, but never actually read any of his work. And there on a shelf in a bookstore was Breakfast At Tiffanys (the book not the film) and assorted stories and his recently discovered début novel, Summer Crossing.
By recently discovered, I mean that his lawyer and friend Alan U. Shwartz discovered the four notebooks it was written on some time after Capote’s death. When dated it turns out to be his début novel – so it’s a little ironic in my view that it should be printed posthumously. Shwartz ponders whether he did well in publishing it in the short annex he provides to the book (in my edition) where he describes the book’s discovery. He ends up not regretting it – and I am glad. We would have been deprived of a true gem.
Now, this little 120-page jewel (Good news for those of you who get put off by books that are too long! – And don’t you deny it, I know you’re out there!) is the story of Grady. Grady is the 17 year-old daughter of a rich American family in New York, in the 50’s. And for the first time in her life she is completely alone all summer this year – her family are taking a boat to Europe. And why pray does Grady chose to waive such a chance at a European adventure? Well, that would be because she has a secret… And the secret’s name is Clyde Menzer. He is a Jewish car park attendant and they are madly in love. Left alone and completely free for the first time Grady clings to Clyde, intensifying their relationship and bringing it to a point Grady never imagined it would come to…
Now, I am not a particular fan of romances (nor am I particularly averse to them – I just am not “addicted” to them) but this is BRILLIANT. It is first love concentrated, boiled down and poured into a book. It is told exquisitely; it is gripping and is also full of all the mannerisms and quips of its age, giving a marvelous insight into life in the States at the time, right from the inside. But as I read Summer Crossing (not only crossing the Atlantic you understand – that comes into it as far as the parents are concerned but also Grady’s crossing into womanhood) I felt it contained more insights than first caught the eye. Take the rather bizarrely named Grady (named after her uncle apparently). One of her major characteristics is that she is DIFFERENT from her sister and parents. They are “nice” and “usual” she is “not like them” . Clyde is merely a more “obvious” demonstration of this. Now, this is a very common (and in this case very well described) state of mind for a 17 year-old but could it possibly be an insight into Capote’s own feelings towards society – or maybe even his family (this is a début novel right at the beginning of his career don’t forget) ? And then, Clyde, the Jewish car park attendant. A gloriously inappropriate lover for high-brow Grady. Maybe a consideration on Capote’s own homosexuality that was considered “very inappropriate” at the time ? Capote wasn’t “Capote” then you remember, so he didn’t have the liberty fame brings… I don’t know. And you really should read it and make your own judgments. But Mr Capote, allow me to say this: Do not regret the printing of this book even if you never meant for it to be seen. It was an amazing gala to your career that deserved to be shared with the world…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder