17 Haziran 2010 Perşembe

A SERIOUS MAN

This week is definately one of my “visit the favourites” weeks. Because now that we have passed through my latest review of Truman Capote – now one of my newest “favorite” authors – and we are hankering for something to watch, why not go for an old favorite this time. My favorite writing – directing – producing duos the famous “two headed director” , The Coen Brothers. More specifically their latest film, A Serious Man. Now, A Serious Man was highly publicized. I usually have very high expectations of the Coen Brothers – they are my favorites after all! And ladies and gentlemen, this film did not disappoint either…
Meet Physics Professor Larry Gopnick. He is a devout Jew, a family man, an idealistic teacher. A serious, sensible man with a serious sensible life. Then, quite unexpectedly he hits a bad patch – or rather, the bad patch kinda hits him. One of his students decides to bribe him for a passing grade – and that in itself starts a chain reaction of unfortunate events but there is more. His tenure is now in danger because of anonymous letters that circulating about him. At home, his brother Arthur is stuck on the couch indefinitely and is causing mayhem in more senses of the word than one. His son’s Bar-Mitzvah is approaching but his son only seems interested in the television and his radio. Oh, and his wife has just told him she is cheating on him and she wants a divorce. She also wants him to move out of the house. Yes, Larry Gopnick is most definitely in a tight spot. But at least things can’t get much worse, right?
First and foremost I must hasten to tell you that those among you who usually avoid the Coens because of excessive violence (with classics like Fargo and No Country For Old Men no one can blame that attitude, although it is not my attitude in the least) need not do so this time.
Ok, so I was in two minds as to wether to point it out but it took a while for me to notice this (I started watching the film with virtually no research) but it’s actually a modern adaptation of the Book Of Job (from the Old Testament). I hesitate on “banging on” about this fact but really, the film makes a lot more sense if you bare it in mind I foundBut don’t let that put you off – there isn’t a single actual reference to this fact in the film. I mean, the Gopnicks are a devout family but reference-wise that’s about as far as it goes. Infact, in the able hands of the Coens, the film almost becomes a dark comedy in parts. And there are some very intelligent jokes and references. I mean, I am not Jewish and I was not alive in the 60’s so a lot of the period stuff was lost on me. But there are some very intelligent details that become apparent on closer inspection so this double Oscar® nominee (Best Picture and Best Writing, Screenplay Written Direct For Screen) is definitely worth your attention. Hell, I’m thinking of watching it at least twice… And that’s not just because I’m a fan…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder