17 Haziran 2010 Perşembe

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S – DAARLING!

OK, as I mentioned last week I’m feeling mighty guilty about being so “unliterary” for so long… And having both “discovered” Truman Capote and being in possession of another one of his works I have the opportunity to continue my review… And of course, if I recall, I had mentioned what it is to you folks as well: It is that classic of both literary and cinematic fiction; Breakfast At Tiffany’s. Now do not be confused, my review is of the original book, not the wonderful adaptation into film starring Audrey Hepburn. The film’s turn will come of course, but in our mediatic times, when I am faced with books adapted into films (or ofcourse vice- versa ) I always prefer checking out the original media first. As successful as it may be, the second is only an adaptation after all… And starlarınkine Capote was the writer of the original media so it kind of does deserve precedence in my book!... (No pun intended!)
Now, we are all familiar, I assume, with Holly Golightly – the heroine of Breakfast At Tiffany’s, if only through the film or through reputation. Incidentally I found the fact that the book I bought actually had a picture of Audrey Hepburn as Holly on the cover… I guess this is the point where the adaptation clearly surpasses the book in celebrity! And ofcourse I was also attracted by “the main act”. However, the edition I have has more people to introduce than an average “Breakfast” . In this edition in addition to the story that gave the book its name, we find three other short stories by Capote : House of Flowers ( the story of a Haitian “working girl”, her quest for true love and the price she is prepared to pay for it), A Diamond Guitar ( the story of a hardened convict whose life is changed in a way he never thought possible by the arrival of a new convict) and last of all A Christmas Memory (the story of a rather unlikely but very happy friendship).
Now, I was of course well aware that Capote was a good writer (see review of Summer Crossing last week for details) but I never expected to be blown away to this degree… To start with, we are faced with rather a different Capote then what we are taught “at first glance”. Indeed, in the afore-mentioned Summer Crossing, his friend and lawyer explains clearly how Capote’s wit turned poisonous later on in life and alienated almost all who knew him. These stories, I would dare say, were written before that happened. Beautiful encounters, life changing emotions, deep friendships and love… All are exquisitely and eloquently explored. And every single time this is done from a perspective you never quite expected it to be taken from – and this ofcourse is what made Capote great… I ventured, you may recall, a small analysis of what I thought Summer Crossing may symbolize. If I were to venture another opinion here – I might say that all these were written at a time when our author was secure in a relationship. All the emotions that make relationships – and not just relationships in the romantic sense but all relationships – beautiful and essential to our lives are described vividly… I will not go into what these are in detail – I assume you know what I mean already.
In fact, I will not rabbit on at all. Just by the book and get lost in it. You will NOT regret it.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder