20 Mayıs 2015 Çarşamba

ART, CINEMA AND THE POLITICS OF HIGH HEELS

If you have gone anywhere near Twitter recently, you probably will have noticed – the Cannes film festival is happening. And as usual it is giving us a lot to talk about on many different levels. Several films I am already excited about are making their debuts here, not the least among them Asif Kapadia’s Amy, the documentary depicting the life of the late great Amy Winehouse.
One film that is definitely making waves is Carol. Todd Haynes, ever the director who undertakes controversial stories, has undertaken the famous Patricia Higsmith novel of the same name, telling the story of a shop clerk (Rooney Mara) who falls for Carol (Cate Blanchett), an older, married customer…  If the trailer is anything to go by, the film does the book justice and more – and Cate Blanchett is as accomplished and striking as ever… Trailers seem to be a bit thin on the ground, so here is a clip of Carol and Therese having dinner... And a moment... 



But, and I simply must touch on this, it was on the red carpet for the screening of this particular film that we began to read reports that women were being banned from screenings and the red carpet for the heinous crime of… Wait for it… Not wearing high heels. That’s right folks. Women are apparently OBLIGED to wear high heels on the Cannes red carpet… (Read more about it here) I don’t know what kind of patriarchal behemoth attempts to put its’ artists in uniform, much less such a sexist one, but it’s sad and it’s disappointing and it just SHOULDN’T be happening…

But let’s turn back to cinema for a minute. Because I simply must talk about The Lobster before I love you and leave you.

I have never quite known what to make of Yorgos Lanthimos. Reviews range broadly between “one of the best things that happened to cinema” and “batsh*t crazy”. I have watched quite a few of his trailers but have never quite… Ehm… Got round to watching any actual films… I mean check out this one, for Dogtooth…



 But less of the nostalgia… What I was trying to say was that his latest film, may just tempt me over the edge… Because it’s a wonderful satire of a panic that grips us all and a “feeling” we become more and more aware of as we grow older… Well some of us do anyway…  The Lobster takes place in an alternative universe where being in a relationship is obligatory. You have 45 days of singledom to find a “matching” partner, if you fail, you are turned into an animal and set free into the woods… I’m guessing I don’t need to spell out what the film is actually about… I couldn’t find the trailer for the film but I did find two clips I’m posting below… It gives one a pretty good idea of the general atmos…  



I think it's the kind of "funny" you adore if you actually get into, it's the whole "getting into" of it that may take a while though. I am quite determined to brave him though - let's see how I fare!  I'll keep you updated as always! 

happy viewing! 
Essie

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder