29 Temmuz 2010 Perşembe

VALKYRIE

If you turn round and tell me that you are actually fed to the back teeth with WW2 films and that you do not want set eyes on another again, I would sympathize. I mean, I would find your reaction a tad excessive but I could see where you were coming from. Truth be told, tragic though the events of WW2 were, I feel that too many mediocre to bad films have been made on the topic. Thus people get the impression that if they’ve seen one they’ve pretty much seen them all. The good Allies vs. the evil Germans. Now this was no doubt true up to a point, but not completely. I mean, you can’t realistically claim that ALL Germans were evil / frightened / following the Nazi party without thinking. In fact, Valkyrie is the true story of a group of German officers who took on the Third Reich; if only to “show the world that not all of them were like him”.

The group is actually comprised of Nazi army officers. They, however, think that Hitler is destroying Germany. And they feel he must be stopped at all costs. Under the leadership of Colonel Von Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) a daring plan is hatched. They will utilize the “Valkyrie” plans, plans to be used to maintain order in Germany if Hitler is killed or is cut off from the rest of the country. Stauffenberg himself will murder Hitler. The Valkyrie plans will in the meanwhile be re-written to exclude the SS and thus the “friendly forces” will act quickly, taking over all points of authority and taking over the country without shedding a single drop of blood (except Hitler’s). However as we all know, and as John Lennon very rightly put it, “Life is what happens while we are busy making plans”…

Now, you may have had prior knowledge of this coup. And for anyone who has basic knowledge of the WW2 history, the end of the film is pretty evident. The plot failed, the group was caught and as for the consequences… Well let’s just say they weren’t rapped on the knuckles and set free… But I still think you should watch it. Why? Well, first of all, my very short rendition above doesn’t even come close to doing justice to how complicated Operation Valkyrie actually was. It’s a very, VERY exciting story of strategy, resistance and a delight to watch for anyone who relishes that feeling of watching the “dominos fall” if you see what I mean. I have heard Tom Cruise’s performance being called a failure – honestly, I wouldn’t go that far. He’s not my favorite actor either but his performance isn’t really bad. Besides, I was personally very touched by the quote I stated in the first paragraph. The band knew only too well that their plan might well fail, spelling death to them all but desperately and above and beyond anything wanted to show the world that they were not all “like him.” Seeing that they died in the attempt, I feel we owe it to them to at least listen to their story…
(For those who want to learn more about this, check here for the Wikipedia page. Always a good place to start =)

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder