29 Temmuz 2010 Perşembe

WHATEVER WORKS

Ok, in my lecture today I am going to talk about Woody Allen. (sorry, this is an in-joke between me and my mother). But even if that sentence means nothing to you, it’s as good a beginning as any. What do you make of him? Love him? Hate him? Honestly, he was another director that slid through the cracks where I’m concerned. I discovered him quite by accident when a friend dragged me into Vicky, Christina, Barcelona one day. I left the film with the distinct impression I needed to know more about this. I don’t know as much as I should to date, but I do know enough to tell you I like it =) . Whatever Works is his latest film and I spent a fruitful couple of hours watching it, which is why I now want to share it with you.

Ok, meet Boris Yelnikoff (Larry David. Lord that man looks like Woody Allen!). He is an “almost Nobel nominated” genius. He is a major hypochondriac with a very negative outlook on the world and great contempt for his fellow humans. He has just taken up being a recluse when Mississippi stowaway Melodie St Anne Celestine almost literally stumbles across his path. Despite his better judgment he takes her in and lets her stay for a couple of days. She is naïve, inexperienced and quite beautiful. A very unlikely friendship is now born. Melodie calms Boris and makes him happy, she in turn learns a lot from him (think My Fair Lady, set in the 2000’s with a VERY grumpy Henry Higgins). But things are about to get complicated. Melodie’s parents track her down and land on their doorstep. When it comes to love and such like, Boris’s philosophy is “Whatever works so long as it doesn’t hurt anybody.” Finding something that works, however, may be a tad more complicated than anyone suspected…

Ok, so maybe not Woody Allen’s finest hour - but a definite success. It’s basically a light-hearted romantic comedy, with a goodly dose of Allenesque criticism of the world. Well more specifically of the New York “elite”. The artistes, the great thinkers the “free spirits” (the ones in inverted commas – yes there IS a difference!) all get a goodly poke. Plus, one piece of criticism I heard is that the character of Boris is slightly caricatured, not “realistic”. I mean, Larry David’s acting is fine; it’s not that, it’s the character of Boris himself that is “unbelievable”. But it’s not so “bad” it scars the film. And I mean, we believe the existence of all kinds of unrealistic characters while watching romantic-comedies, this one is really tame considering. And yes, there are a few “tirades” where Mr. Allen definitely wanted to get a message across. I have no problems with messages. And they’re not so long you’ll have to fast forward =) In short, Mr. Allen has made a very intelligent and funny romantic-comedy, with the purpose of entertaining us and voicing a point of view, an opinion. He does this in no uncertain terms, does not sugar-coat it or anything. But in my opinion it’s ok, I mean it isn’t just anyone, it’s Woody Allen we’re talking about his opinions are kinda interesting. And if you disagree, well, you can just fast forward. You’ll enjoy the film anyway.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder