27 Mayıs 2014 Salı

NOTHING QUITE MEASURES UP TO ``HER``

Those of you who know me in real life know that I still (yes, still) don`t have a smartphone. This makes me incredibly annoying if we are meeting up somewhere I`m not familiar with (not least because not only do I have no GPS, I have absolutely no sense of direction whatsoever – one friend of mine rather historically had to `navigate` me to a club for all of two hours. I was very lost.). Anyway, so I`m oldschool. I check my e-mail from home. I can`t tag myself in venues. The concept of a selfie is slightly lost on me and I don`t have Instagram. Now, 2014 may well be there year Sedef converts to smartphones but for now my little old `dumb phone` does me just fine. So when you guys all whip out your smartphones and get stuck to them doing this and that, I will make fun of you. My favourite quip is that you are surgically attached to your phone, or that you are in love with the thing. My quips a little more than jest, but Her makes the very valid point that artificial intelligence is here to stay and that well… Where there are intelligent beings capable of personal development … There will, inevitably be love.
Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) is a writer. He works as a writer at the `handwritten letter company` composing letters for other people. He is good at what he does – he is considered one of the best writers in the company. He was once the life and soul of the party, he and his wife Catherine (Rooney Mara). All that is gone now. Theodore and Catherine are getting divorced and this has pretty much knocked Theodore for six. Theodore seems to be closing in on himself more and more and getting more and more depressed with each passing day until, completely on a whim, he buys a new, artificially intelligent operating system, OS1. OS1 is an artificially intelligent operating system designed to meet the users every need and be as close to being human as possible without having a body… Thus begins a very extraordinary relationship. Because the one thing Theodore needs from life is love. And Samantha (as the OS decides to call herself – voiced by Scarlett Johansson) may just be the girl for him…
Human VS Artificial Intelligence used to be something merely for the sci-fi geeks. You know, something you thought about if you happened to be a fan if writers like Isaac Asimov or series like Star Trek. But the technological developments of the last couple of decades mean that now artificial intelligence is, potentially, part of our everyday lives. Which in turn means mainstream art has begun to think about it. I mean fair dues; Spike Jonze is by no stretch of the imagination mainstream, but the point is that this is a film that was seen by a good many people, was awarded an Oscar and a good many other awards besides. I has raced its way through lists of iconic films and ``to watch`` lists. It has clearly struck a chord. And although relationships with computerized beings (what DOES one call them ??!!) are, for now, only really frequent in high-tech countries such as Korea and Japan, well, this may well mean that the trend is heading our way… 
I think this film has struck such a chord because it touches on a very sensitive point. A point only single people in their thirties will get. Your thirties is a time of life where most people around you are settling into their relationships. If not already married, people are moving in together, having children and generally taking step after step in that particular area of ``adult life``. Now don`t get me wrong, I am one of these single people. I am not discontent with my singledom either. But come on guys, put your hand on your heart and admit it. More or less frequently – depending on your nature – there are moments when you are filled with the sense that you will never find ``your other half``. There is a moment you look around at all the happy (or seemingly happy –but that is a different post all together) couples around you and think ``that will never be me``. And if you have been a confirmed bachelor, this is one thing, because you do probably know by now that just because you are single at the moment your world is not actually coming to an end. If however you exit a long-term relationship, it may feel as if literally all is lost. The whole story line with the friend Theodore got set up with annoyed me at first. It seemed to me, for a second, that it was a re-hash of that hoary old chestnut about clingy and slightly mad single women in their thirties (and there is definitely an element of this thought in the film. Think of the ``choking on the cat`` bit if you have watched the film.) Because clearly, if you are above a certain age and single there must be something very wrong with you *sigh*. But when I thought about it a little more calmly I began to get it. Because more often than not that IS how you approach potential new relationships if you are in Theodore`s shoes. If you were dumped I mean. Nothing and no one measures up to your ex who was, clearly, the most perfect person ever in the world. All those other people `left on the shelf` couldn`t even begin to compare to that perfection. Hence at first any new potential partner is riddled with faults. Even if they are not.
The other, not completely disconnected point is most clearly put across by Theodore when he talking about Samantha. On more than one occasion he says of Samantha that it is ``great to be with someone who is excited about the world``. I see what that is about completely, although I find it hard to put into words. We all get hurt at some point. We all get jaded. And rather unfairly we desperately search with this joie de vivre in others, without exactly being generous with handing it out ourselves. We have in Samantha someone who is only just discovering the world, combining all the qualities of a child, truly excited with new life, with the sensibilities of a grown woman.
Her is a very, very deep film. It asks a lot of serious questions about love and relationships. And although if were to go into a detailed analysis of what I think of each one I would have to possibly start up a new blog or something like that, I think there is one last very valid point to be made. In a world where we are more and more obsessed with appearances, Theodore ends up bypassing the gorgeous single woman he gets set up with and falls for a woman without a body. They have ``phone sex`` and go on dates ``via camera``. So whatever other points the film makes, I think Her makes it perfectly clear that for a relationship to truly work out you have to know to look below what is only skin-deep.

On the surface a simple boy meets girl… Only with so many twists and turns… Spike Jonze has truly outdone himself this time. Definitely a must-see. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder