29 Eylül 2011 Perşembe

ESSIE SPEAKS OF SLICES OF LIFE.

I know. Not only does that title sound gruesome (or alternatively as if this week's theme is either butchery or cooking) but neither is the case. It isn't the technical term for the type of film I am talking about this week. If any of my lecturers are reading this (though the chances of that happening is minimal) I appologise and promise to brush up on my genres. Moving on; these two films don't have anything in common thematically, cast-wise or in fact technically. But they do share a certain something. Both, albeit in different ways, portrays a "slice of life". They choose to do so in two very distinct ways; while the first film, Amores perros (now a cult classic) uses a non-linear timeline to flash back and forward in time and connect the three stories; Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth does it in a good deal calmer manner, presenting five stories that are happening at the same time. And I do realize this update is slightly shorter than usual, however, Inaritu and Jarmusch are such great directors that I didn't feel comfortable just pushing a third film in willy-nilly. No, I am confident their talents will be more than enough to regail you for the week.

happy viewing!
Essie

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder