4 Ağustos 2014 Pazartesi

OH THERE'S LIFE IN THE OLD DOGS YET! MEET "THE MONUMENTS MEN"

When I first saw this film I wasn’t entirely sure I wanted to see it. I mean come on; it’s yet ANOTHER heist type movie where George Clooney is the ringleader of the gang. You may love George Clooney but don’t try and tell me it’s an original idea an entire “Oceans” franchise later. But then again, as you know, I love to keep a movie or two just for “take your brain out and relax” purposes so Monuments Men went onto that pile. It has, much to my surprise, thrown up a number of rather deep questions. It’s partly the film and partly my weird mind. But hang on. Let me tell you what the film is about first.
The Monuments Men. Otherwise known as Monuments Fine Arts and Archives. A division not quite like any other seemingly composed of the ones the regular army rejected. Older men, men with birth defects – heart trouble say – and their jobs as art historians, curators an architects don’t seem to prepare them for their roles in the war either. But you see, this a division not quite like any other. Their duty, should the army chose to accept it (or not) is to find the great works of art the Nazis have hidden somewhere behind enemy lines and when possible return them to their rightful owners. The war is raging on despite the fact that everyone seems to feel it’s winding down, so the Monuments Men face many real difficulties. Not least among them is the fact that they find it hard to get the Allied Forces to actually take them seriously. But the Monuments Men are deadly serious. As their superiors and the Nazis are about to find out…

I mean it is what it says on the tin. George Clooney – albeit not so much the handsome rogue but a middle aged and wise curator – leads a group of disparate (brilliant enough to make this elite force yet, naturally, sorely in need of a leader) individuals. He has a right hand man (Matt Damon) who fills the quota of the “heart throb of the film” an archetypal, Muppets style grumpy old man (Bob Balaban) and the slightly younger men who gets a kick out of teasing him (Bill Murray) forming the bickering couple (oh come on, you HAD noticed there always is a bickering couple. Yes you had.). There are the obligatory casualties (I will not be snide about this as not only does it represent real deaths but I actually welled up quite a bit while watching them). There is a moment when you think that the whole affair will be in vain. There is a chance breakthrough and, at one point a race against time. Oh and a love triangle. Yeah. Original it is not. But perfectly executed it most definitely is. Don’t expect any artistic revelations from this movie but of its kind it is a perfect example. And I mean, with a veteran like Clooney at the helm it’s pretty much a slam-dunk. If nothing else, he has been in enough of this kind of movie to be able to replicate it in his sleep. Plus he is a bit of a talent too, so yeah. Well and come on with that cast (And John Goodman AND Jean Dujardin)
But then again, I reckon the way this project got green-lighted was that it took this tried and tested frame to a touching and original story. It is not surprising at all that at 53 Clooney turns to a story that gives a band of seeming rejects a place in the lime light and in history. I mean, not that I’m for a minute implying that Clooney is headed for the scrapheap any time soon but age plays on all our minds constantly at the best of times but in ageist Hollywood it must be more in the forefront of Clooney’s mind than most. And I mean age is not the only thing that makes this group “rejects” – things like sickness plays a part also the fact that these men are not “manly men” but academics, artists, the sensitive ones, not the big “manly men”. Of course this is less of a stigma in the 21st century but in the ‘40s this was a whole different kettle of fish. And of course the army is the army at all times in history so the Monuments Men have the added duty of proving to the people who should be on their side that what they were doing was… Well, worth doing. And I’m pretty sure that also appealed to Clooney the artist.

In closing I just want to express my surprise at the partly coincidental influx of films speaking of the efforts to hide artworks from Nazis in my life. They are not all new films, the topic has cropped up in some of the older films I have watched (I am being a very good girl and keeping up with watching my older movies as well as my new ones). I do wonder, in this age where the digital melds with the classic art forms, what our reaction would be to a similar invasion. Would we desperately be trying to secret great artworks from our enemies? I mean, would we be doing it as desperately as the films tell us were done? There’s part of me that would say no. But then again, our whole concept of art has changed a lot too. I was watching a show by the Japanese group Siro-a the other day (check them out Here if you haven’t heard of them). It’s a wonderful visual performance combining computer generated imagery with theatre and dance. I mean just by his poise and the way he held his hands I’m pretty sure at least one of the performers I watched was classically trained. Yet the whole amazing performance would not be possible without heavy digital intervention. I’m pretty sure the older generation would say “Oh that’s not art”; but is that fair? Is it even true? What would we try and hide if World War 3 broke out? And would the new Monuments Men include, in part at least, hackers? Take a minute to think about it… It’s not as crazy an idea as it seems…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder