19 Ocak 2014 Pazar

THE (BRIEF) RETURN OF MY FAVOURTE SUPERHERO : "SHERLOCK SEASON 3"

Two years. We have been waiting for two blessed years. They knew we’d wait. They knew we’d “do the time” so they took their own sweet time planning practising and filming. But oh… Oh what an end result. The one thing that really frustrates me about this series is that how quickly it’s all over. I mean, especially for me, because I waited for the whole series to be finished (skilfully avoiding any spoilers pertaining to the finale) and “marathoned” the whole series in a day (at the time this article was written it was still available on BBC I-player for UK residents).  And now… Well I have to wait for another two years I guess… Which reminds me, I should really check if there are any clues circulating as to when the next series will be broadcast…  But anyhow. Before we turn our eyes to the future, let us dwell on the recent past. What did we make of season 3?
So, the first thing we find out – I’m sure it’s not a spoiler at this point – is that Sherlock Holmes is alive. The cynics among us will mumble something about “killing the goose that lays the golden eggs”. We can’t actually say that this is unfair. That said, we all need a superhero of some sort in our lives (and those claiming that “no, we don’t” are actually in denial). Now, some superheroes are, you know, your average superhero:  Handsome, inherently good, superpowers, saving the world, all that malarkey. Others are well adjusted sociopaths with off-the chart IQs and very poor interpersonal skills. My kind of superhero tends to be the latter. And that says something or other about my subconscious or my childhood but let’s not go there now. Anyway, long story short, superheroes never die. So  Sherlock is back. And he is mildly surprised that actually, life has gone on without him. But once both Sherlock and Watson have got over the shock; there is work to be done; there is serious evil afoot in London. Which is basically why Mycroft had him shipped back to London, I mean, why else would he bother, right?
Basically, what can I say? The series exceeds itself once again in my view. And we have the classic Sherlock tropes running through the tale. In the second series it was Sherlock’s death in a face-off with Moriarty. Ok, there were no waterfalls involved but they are in rather short supply in London. This time round its Watson’s wedding. Now, hand on heart, I was a bit worried about that. I mean, injecting a bit of comedy into an otherwise rather dark and cryptic series is well and good, not to mention necessary, but still. You don’t want it made into a laughing stock. I was, I need to confess especially worried about the wedding episode. I mean ok, for those who haven’t watched yet, one of the three episodes actually takes place at Dr Watson’s wedding. It starts off looking as if it’s going to be one of those epic failures when a very serious series tries to be a comedy for one episode and fails miserably. It’s just a smoke-screen, trust me. Just trust me. Trust Sherlock.
And the finale… Oh my goodness. I don’t want to give you too many details. You know that the whole point of this series is the surprise factor. But there is a truly odious arch-villain that will try Sherlock in ways he has never been tried yet. And you better watch all three episodes very, very closely. Because there is a point in the third episode where you are going to have to trace your way back to little bread crumbs dropped in the first episode. I mean, obviously the series does it for you complete with flashbacks but you know… Just so you know… There is a massive bigger picture. And more than one plot-twist.
All that not enough to tickle your fancy? How about  if I told you we meet Sherlock’s parents? That we get a glimpse at his and Mycroft’s early childhood? What if I told you that, for one split second, we actually see his inner sociopath face to face? I’m telling you… This season is good.

The one thing that might get you slightly is that they do a wonderful, emotionally charged finale. You’re left  with literal tears streaming down your face… Only to find, minutes before the end credits roll down, that they haven’t even waited for the next season to conjure up Sherlock’s “miracle return”. I found it destroyed the flow of the piece slightly but then again… I mean come on. We knew he’d be back. Call it golden eggs, call it superheroes… I guess it was pointless to pretend he was gone for good – because emotionally charged as the finale is, at the end of the day, none of us is really going to “believe” it, are we? So you might as well use the opportunity to give us a taster of what is coming next. And incidentally, judging purely by the little breadcrumb dropped, I’m very curious as to how they are going to “pull that one off”. Oh well. We just have to wait another two years or something to find out… 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder