30 Aralık 2010 Perşembe

BLACK AND WHITE SOIREE 3 : "BICYCLE THIEVES"

Ok, I may not exactly be an esteemed critic, but I am a movie buff. An “amateur academic” as it were, a student of the trade. This is why I try and vary the type of film I watch as much as I can. This is also what has prompted my new “themed week” – black and white classics. Well, to understand a story fully, you must start at its beginning and persevere to its end. Naturally, watching every single thing is impossible but I am trying to broaden the spectrum as much as possible and you all seem to have tagged along with me. (For which, incidentally, I am eternally grateful.) Anyhow, this film I watched mainly as part of an educational process. I liked it a lot and I quite see how and why it became – and is – a classic. It also is, however, tough viewing in one sense. I enjoyed it and found it fascinating for instance but it isn’t your average Saturday night entertainment. You should watch it however. I mean there is more to movies than just “entertainment”, right?
Our last film of the week is not so much the work of a great artist (well it is of course but there’s another side to it) it is an excellent showcase for Italian neorealism. This was an almost extreme form of realism, aiming at portraying life as it was and finding the beauty therein as opposed to the escapism provided by Hollywood. The storyline itself is a good example of the genre. Antonio Ricci is a poor father of two. He lives in post WW2 Italy, he is not an educated man and he has been out of work for almost a year. Just when both his hope and his meager resources are about to run out, his luck turns: He gets a job. It is not “great” but the pay is good. He must take his bicycle around town putting up posters. He must provide the bicycle himself and he simply cannot work without it. On his very first day however, his bicycle is stolen. Antonio is in the depths of despair – the police aren’t helpful; neither are his new employers. He is, basically, on his own (apart from Bruno his young son) in his quest to get his bike back. He is hungry and desperate. And he is ready to do anything, simply ANYTHING to get the bicycle back…
This is a story of economic hardship and desperation. It’s especially pertinent in modern times, the market crash, people losing jobs… And I mean the story of how poverty and desperation can push men to extremes is as old as the hills, think of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Same difference. Here Antonio literally puts everything on the line for a bicycle. But this is not just a bicycle of course; it is hope for his young family… Anyone who has reached the point in their lives where they must budget for themselves cannot fail to sympathize fully with the film and be moved to the roots of their boots.
Technically speaking however, the neorealists are a tough bunch to deal with. Crude filming, natural light and real locations being used... All well and good and all integral parts of most of the realist movements (from the Dogme 95 group in Denmark for instance) and I’m fine with that. I mean I like the idea that films should be similar to real life – though I personally would throw a “sometimes” in there. I LIVE a real life I don’t necessarily need to see it on TV the whole time as well. Anyway, that is not my gripe, my gripe is the actors. You see the other “signature” of the movement – and most movements like it - is the use of amateur actors. Such is the case with this cast, a reporter who stopped by the set to talk to the director, a kid who was lolling around to watch the filming… All thrown in willy nilly to form a cast. To be fair, Lamberto Maggiorani who thus made his acting debut as Antonio Ricci and went on to star in no small number of films does “warm up” as the film goes along. I knew very little about the film when I started watching it though and it took me all of five minutes to realize it was an amateur cast. Now I have boundless respect for amateur actors. I don’t even have the talent to act even as an amateur – who am I kidding ? However, even just being at your ease in front of the camera requires a certain knack, never mind actually acting. I am not saying Mr. Maggiorani didn’t posses that knack nor have I seen him in anything else he starred in, however… I don’t know… I missed watching the “acting” if that makes sense. There were a lot of times I frankly found him awkward not just him the whole cast had “their moments” and that decidedly pulls you away from the film. Which is just as well really; because the aim of the film is to make you think about poverty and inequality and the desperate situation of those who are more unfortunate than us… It certainly succeeds but see, it isn’t a “movie” either in one sense. In another sense, it’s an absolute classic. I don’t know it’s a strange experience, watch it and decide for yourselves…
P.S. I mean, I know I sound kinda lukewarm about this one but please don’t let me put you off, the film was nominated for an Oscar ® for Best Foreign film and won a BARREL LOAD of prestigious awards, it’s not that weird…

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder